Baseball, Men's Volleyball, Softball, Sports

‘Niner Notes: March 20

Baseball: Mittelstaedt sets school record in 10-1 win

The Dirtbags (8-8) defeated UNLV, 10-1, on Saturday on 12 hits, including senior TJ Mittelstaedt’s 17th career triple, breaking the Long Beach State record.

Jake Thompson (2-0) threw 7.2 innings, striking out five and allowing one run to help LBSU clinch the series. The Dirtbags had five players with two hits, including Mittelstaedt with his triple, while every player except for Derek Legg nabbed a hit on the day.

Brennan Metzger and Joey Terdoslavich drove in two runs each, while Mittelstaedt, Steve Tinoco and Kirk Singer knocked out two hits apiece.

Markovitz pitched a scoreless ninth after the Dirtbags scored two more runs in the top of the inning on three straight hits, including a triple from Metzger.

The Dirtbags go for the series sweep tomorrow at 1 p.m.

Softball: Pitching quiets Harvard, bats blister Oregon State

The Long Beach State softball team (13-13) swept the second day of the San Diego Classic II, defeating Harvard, 1-0, before a nine-run inning propelled the 49ers to a 12-4 rout of Oregon State.

Long Beach State 1, Harvard 0

Junior pitcher Brooke Turner (6-5) led the 49ers to a 1-0 victory against Harvard after scattering just two hits and striking out seven in her second complete game shutout of the season.

Freshman Caitrin DeBaun went 1-for-2 and drove in classmate Nalani St. Germain for what proved to be the game-winner. Junior Casey Burba also tallied two hits, while senior Ashley Weber finished the game 1-for-3.

The Beach scored the lone run in the bottom of the sixth inning. After Burba led off with a bunt single, St. Germain reached on a fielder’s choice. Weber then connected for a hit and Liz Javier walked to load the bases before DeBaun’s two-out single brought St. Germain home.

Long Beach State 12, Oregon State 4

The Beach racked up a season-high 12 hits in a 12-4, five-inning win.

Four 49ers finished with multiple hits, led by St. Germain, who went a perfect 4-for-4 with three runs scored and two RBI. Brandy Reyes also drove in three with a pair of hits, including her first home run of the season. DeBaun and Burba rounded out the quartet with two hits apiece.

Sophomore Taylor Petty (6-7) picked up the win, giving up four runs on eight hits, while striking out three.

Down 2-0, LBSU broke the game open with nine runs in the third. St. Germain knocked in two with a single and Reyes connected for a two-run shot over the left field fence to highlight the rally.

The 49ers tacked on a pair of runs in the fifth and held off a late OSU rally in the bottom half of the inning to keep the eight-run rule in effect.

LBSU closes out the San Diego Classic II on Sunday, when it takes on No. 25 Massachusetts at 12:30 p.m.

Men’s Volleyball: Beach drops first of two matches against Hawaii

Dean Bittner had 18 kills as the 49ers lost 30-21, 28-30, 30-23, 30-25 at Hawaii in the Stan Sherriff Center late Friday night.

Bittner was the only Beach player to finish with double-figure kills, while Hawaii had three players with double-digit kills. Jonas Umlauft led the Warriors with 18 kills and a .353 hitting percentage, while Joshua Walker added 15 kills and a .387 hitting percentage. Kirk Francis added 10 digs for LBSU (11-9, 7-6 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation).

The 49ers hit just .164 in the match, while Hawaii (13-7, 9-6 MPSF) hit .261 as a team.

The two teams play again late Saturday night with the match starting at 10 p.m. PT.

Women’s Water Polo: 49ers sweep final day of Lancer Invite

Sophomore Katie Rogers scored four goals to help Long Beach State defeat Cal Baptist 7-6 in the team’s third match at the Lancer Invitational.

A late 6-on-5 goal by Megan Morales after both teams worked to a 6-6 tie over three quarters proved to be the game-winner, with the goal coming with seven minutes to play. Kristen Stragier made four of her 11 saves in the final period to seal the win.

The 49ers (7-12) finished their stay in Riverside with a 10-8 win over Occidental. They return to the pool at USC on Thursday at 5 p.m.