Softball, Sports

Troubles in the circle, at the plate result in 6-inning loss

The Long Beach State softball team was down by four runs before it even got a chance to hit.

LBSU (16-15) suffered an 8-0 loss to San Diego State and had its second consecutive game called due to the eight-run rule, in front of 118 spectators on Tuesday at the 49er Softball Complex.

Things got ugly from the beginning as SDSU (20-9) scored four in the first inning, including a run that resulted after an illegal pitch called on The Beach.

“We put ourselves in a tough situation in the first inning,” 49ers head coach Kim Sowder said. “We’ve got to find a way to make adjustments with this illegal pitch calling and give ourselves a chance. We’re every bit as good as that ball club.”

LBSU starter Brooke Turner (8-6) faced four batters, walked two and allowed four runs on two hits in the first inning before being replaced by sophomore Taylor Petty.

All three pitchers on the 49ers’ staff made their way into the circle as Petty scattered four hits in 4.0 innings, while giving up one run and senior Bridgette Pagano gave up three earned runs on four hits.

Seven illegal pitches were called against the 49ers, and senior Ashley Weber said the team suffered a letdown because of it.

“With the illegal pitches, our pitchers need to realize that it is affecting us and they need to work on picking it up a little bit,” Weber said. “Obviously, we can’t control those on the field as players, so we have to depend on them and help them out a little bit at the plate.”

The Beach (16-15) struggled offensively, threatening to score only once in the game, during the bottom portion of the first.

Freshman Nalani St. Germain drew a leadoff walk, followed by a single to left field by Weber. Both runners advanced on a slow rolling infield grounder by Christina Schallig.

The ‘Niners failed to produce a run as Caitrin DeBaun flied out to end the inning.

“Going down 4-0 in the first inning on walks and illegal pitches didn’t help the team stay focused,” Weber said. “That’s something that you can’t do when you’re facing teams like this. As a team, we need to stay up no matter what the score is, especially heading into conference play.”

SDSU collected 10 hits against The Beach, while Aztec pitcher Samantha Beasley (15-6) tossed a two-hitter and accumulated nine strikeouts.

St. Germain and Weber earned a hit apiece for the 49ers.

The Aztecs scored a run in the third, increasing their lead to 5-0, before adding three runs in the sixth to seal the deal.

LBSU opens Big West Conference action with a three-game series against Pacific at the 49er Softball Complex, beginning with a doubleheader on Friday starting at 1 p.m.

Despite The Beach dropping its previous two contests, Sowder said the ‘Niners have played well over the last month and need to focus on the bigger picture.

“We’ve done a lot of good things and found a way to win a lot of ball games,” Sowder said. “This team knows what we are capable of, but we have to make those adjustments in the circle.”