Baseball, Men's Volleyball, Men's Water Polo, Sports

‘Niner Notes: April 2

Baseball: Offensive eruption keys rout of Pacific

Long Beach State exploded for eight runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to pull away to a 13-4 win over Pacific on Friday at Blair Field.

Devin Lohman’s bat helped LBSU (12-12, 1-1 Big West Conference) even its three-game series with the Tigers at one win apiece as the junior shortstop went 5-for-5 with three RBIs. Senior Tinoco drove in three runs as well after compiling a 3-for-5 evening at the plate.

Kirk Singer and Joey Terdoslavich each chipped in two RBIs as The Beach feasted on Pacific pitchers for 17 hits in the game. Terdoslavich also crushed his fifth home run of the season in the sixth inning on a two-run blast over the left field wall.

Junior starter Jake Thompson (4-0) went 8.0 innings strong, allowing four runs — three earned — on 10 hits, while striking out eight, before Kenny Arnerich came in to toss the final inning.

The two teams play the series finale on Saturday at 2 p.m.

Women’s Tennis: Two singles upsets highlight 5-2 win over Cal Poly

The 49ers earned two victories over nationally-ranked singles players to pull out a 5-2 win over Cal Poly on Friday at San Luis Obispo.

LBSU freshman Jaklin Alawi, who is ranked the No. 125 singles player in the nation, defeated No. 85 Susie Matzenauer 6-4, 3-6, 7-5 at No. 1 singles. Classmate Anais Dallara upset No. 86 Brittany Blalock 7-6 (5), 6-3 at No. 2 singles.

Going down the singles draw, The Beach (14-3, 6-0 Big West) also picked up a win at No. 3 as Deborah Armstrong defeated Steffi Wong 6-1, 6-4 and at No. 4 as Rachel Manasse cruised past Diane Filip 6-2, 6-2.

Sarah Cantlay earned a point for the ‘Niners at No. 6 singles with a 6-4, 7-6 (5) win over Jocelyn Davis. LBSU sophomore Julie Luzar fell in three sets at No. 5 singles to Alexa Lee 6-2, 1-6, 6-3.

The 49ers won the match despite being swept in doubles as the No. 26 duo of Blalock and Matzenauer defeated Alawi and Manasse, 8-3, at the top of the doubles draw.

Armstrong and Dallara fell to Lee and Wong, 7-6 (3), at No. 2, while Cantlay and Luzar dropped the No. 3 doubles match, 8-2, to Filip and Ashley Pane.

LBSU returns to the court on Saturday when it travels to face Big West foe UC Santa Barbara at 11 a.m.

Men’s Volleyball: Beach men drop second of two meetings against BYU

The Beach (12-13, 8-10 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation) fell to BYU in four sets for the second consecutive night despite having four players finish with double-digit kills.

Tommy Pestolesi led The Beach with 16 kills, while Kyle Friend added 15 kills, Dean Bittner had 12 and Antwain Aguillard chipped in 10. LBSU hit .273 for the match and had nine service aces in the loss.

BYU’s Rob Stowell and Andrew Stewart led the Cougars to a 30-26, 27-30, 30-22, 30-23 MPSF win on Friday at the Walter Pyramid.

Stowell led the Cougars (18-7, 14-6 MPSF) with 26 kills on .657 hitting, while Stewart had 21 kills on .457 hitting. BYU hit .460 and compiled 14 blocks as a team.

The 49ers play their final road match of the season on Wednesday, April 7 when they travel to face UC Irvine at 7 p.m.

Women’s Water Polo: ‘Niners remain winless in Big West action

LBSU scored three goals in the final quarter but could not erase an early deficit in a 6-4 loss at No. 12 UC Santa Barbara.

The 49ers (7-16, 0-2 Big West) picked up a goal each from leading scorers Krizia Cerda, Lauren Sieprath and Katie Rogers. Kristen Stragier made nine saves for The Beach.

UCSB took an early 3-0 lead after the first quarter and expanded that edge to 5-0 before halftime. The teams each tallied a goal in the third quarter before LBSU cut the lead to two in the final period.

The 49ers return to the Campus Pool next weekend when they host UC Davis on April 10 at noon.