Baseball, Men's Basketball, Sports

‘Niner Notes: May 5

Baseball: Dirtbags blanked on road at Pepperdine

The Dirtbags (20-21) fell, 4-0, in a nonconference game at Pepperdine on Wednesday as Waves starter Kevin Inman tossed a complete game and limited Long Beach State batters to six hits at Eddy Field Stadium.

Inman (1-0) struck out one and walked three in his shutout performance to send the Dirtbags to their third straight defeat. Troy Watson (0-2) took the loss for The Beach after lasting 2 2/3 innings and allowing three runs on four hits.

The Waves (14-23) scored three runs in the bottom of the third inning on an RBI single from Ryan Van Amberg and two bases-loaded walks. They tacked on an extra run in the fourth when Ryan Heroy belted a solo home run against Dirtbags reliever Josh Corrales.

Brennan Metzger went 2-for-3 with a double to lead LBSU’s offense. Devin Lohman, Joey Terdoslavich, Jordan Casas and Steve Tinoco each tallied one hit for the Dirtbags.

Long Beach has three upcoming nonconference games lined up as it hosts a weekend series at Blair Field against Stanford, starting Friday at 6:30 p.m.

Men’s Basketball: Monson adds 3 recruits

Long Beach State will welcome three junior transfers to its roster next season, 49ers head coach Dan Monson announced on Wednesday.

Edis Dervisevic, Khalid Gerard and Corey Jackson all signed National Letters of Intent to play for the 49ers during the 2010-11 season.

Dervisevic, a 6-foot-8 forward, played two seasons at Western Texas College in Snyder, Texas. He averaged 7.7 points and 7.0 rebounds per game during his freshman year, while shooting 59 percent from the field and 48.3 percent on 3-pointers. The Bronx native averaged 5.2 ppg during an injury-plagued sophomore season.

Gerard comes to The Beach from Technical Career Institutes in New York City where he averaged 23.3 points, 6.5 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game in his sophomore season. The 6-foot-4 guard also made 49 percent of his 3-point shots and 48 percent of his field goals.

Jackson, a second-team National Junior College Athletic Association Division II All-American, averaged 20.8 points, 5.3 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.4 steals per game at Fashion Institute of Technology. The 6-foot-tall native of Brentwood, N.Y. shot 45.6 percent from the field and 35.3 percent from 3-point range.