Softball, Sports

‘Niner Notes: May 9

Softball: 49ers win series against rival Titans

Long Beach State earned the series victory against Cal State Fullerton after dropping the Titans, 6-2, in the finale on Sunday afternoon at Anderson Family Field.

Junior Brooke Turner (11-10) allowed two runs on three hits, struck out two and issued four walks.

The 49ers (23-26, 7-11 Big West Conference) outhit the Titans, 12-3, led by freshman Bree Stephan and senior Ashley Weber, who both went 2-for-3 at the plate. Junior Liz Javier also chipped in a pair of hits, while freshman Caitrin DeBaun added two RBIs.

The Beach got on the board early after DeBaun grounded to the right side to bring home Stephan.

Long Beach scored again in the second when Kristen Pocock drew a leadoff walk before Ashley Levine reached on an infield hit. Pocock eventually crossed the plate on an RBI single from Casey Burba.

LBSU built a 4-0 lead in the third frame as Weber doubled and came around to score on a throwing error after Brandy Reyes singled to second base. Javier then drove in Reyes with a double down the right field line.

CSUF (13-37, 8-10 Big West) cut the lead in half in the bottom of the third, scoring two runs on a pair of hits. The 49ers added insurance runs in the sixth and seventh on RBI singles from DeBaun and Jodi Nakawatase.

The Beach closes out the regular season when it hosts UC Riverside, May 14-15. The 49ers will honor their six seniors before their final home game on Saturday.