Baseball, Sports

Dirtbags take advantage of USC miscues for win

LOS ANGELES — Long Beach State (22-23) capitalized on USC’s (23-25) miscues and won, 9-1, on a scenic Wednesday night at Dedeaux Field.

“They played bad defense,” Dirtbags Head Coach Mike Weathers said. “It was a 2-1 game going into the seventh inning.”

Designated hitter Jordan Casas walked on four pitches to open the seventh inning. Second baseman Matt Duffy then came up and laid down a sacrifice bunt that Trojans first baseman Ricky Oropesa threw into right field for a three-base error that allowed Casas to score.

“The first mistake [USC] made was they couldn’t field a sac bunt that Duffy did,” Weathers said. “They threw it down the right field line then that whole inning just got away from them.”

Right fielder TJ Mittelstaedt then lined a single to right field that brought in Duffy. After Mittelstaedt advanced to third on two wild pitches, Jonathan Jones brought him in courtesy of an error by Trojans shortstop Joe De Pinto.

After Jones moved to second on the third wild pitch of the inning, first baseman Steve Tinoco hit a hot grounder that Trojans second baseman Ryan Bast could not handle, allowing Jones to score and Tinoco to reach third.

Pinch hitter Tre Dennis then singled, bringing in Tinoco, but was thrown out trying to advance to second on the hit for the third and final out.

The five runs in the inning made the score, 9-1, putting the game out of reach as the Dirtbags’ pitching continued to shut down the Trojans offense.

Dirtbags starter Nate Underwood (2-1) was stellar, going four innings, giving up just one hit and striking out one while allowing no runs.

“Underwood did a great job of throwing the fastball,” Weathers said. “I thought he was the aggressor and he threw a lot of strikes.”

The Dirtbags’ bullpen was impressive as five pitchers combined for five innings, allowing just three hits and one run while striking out five.

“The bullpen for us was key,” Weathers said. “I thought all of the pitchers threw quality strikes.”

The Dirtbags will now turn their attention to Big West Conference leader Cal State Fullerton. Long Beach will host a three-game series beginning Friday at 6:30 p.m.

Weathers said the Dirtbags will have to win out to turn their season around and that the weekend series against the division leader could provide them an opportunity to help their own cause.