Softball, Sports

49ers quiet UCR bats in doubleheader sweep

Game 1
Game 2

With its season coming to a close, the Long Beach State softball team looks like it will end it on a positive note.

The Beach (25-26, 9-11 Big West Conference) picked up a pair of victories over UC Riverside on Saturday at the 49er Softball Complex to clinch the series win.

Long Beach State 4, UC Riverside 1

Long Beach got out in front early, putting two runs on the scoreboard in the first inning.

Senior catcher Brandy Reyes’ RBI double scored Ashley Weber and moved designated player Caitrin DeBaun to third base. Liz Javier then brought DeBaun home on a sacrifice fly to give the 49ers a 2-0 advantage.

The ‘Niners kept the momentum going in the second inning.

Nalani St. Germain drew a leadoff walk and made her way to third when Ashley Levine ripped a line drive that bounced off the glove of Highlanders first baseman Brittany Keeney.

Freshman Bree Stephan hit a sac fly to center field, allowing St. Germain to cross the plate and extend the 49er lead to 3-0.

“I’m proud of our girls to come out at this time, in light of our situation and play hard and find a way to get two Ws today,” head coach Kim Sowder said. “They did a nice job.”

UCR (22-31, 7-13 Big West) scored its lone run in the fifth thanks to a double from Kayla White to open the inning, followed by back-to-back bunts.

The Beach added an additional run in the sixth when Stephan singled to the gap in right center to plate Bridgette Pagano. Stephan drove in two runs during the nightcap.

“I was just looking for a pitch I could drive, anything I can do to help the team,” Stephan said.

Sophomore pitcher Taylor Petty (10-14) picked up the win, allowing one run on five hits, while striking out four.

“It was good to come back today” Petty said. “We had a lot of fun. It’s our last weekend and we wanted to finish strong.”

Long Beach State 2, UC Riverside 0

Brooke Turner went to work in the circle, tossing a two-hit shutout against the Highlanders in the series opener.

Turner (12-10), who collected 10 strikeouts in the game, struck out at least one UCR batter in each of her seven innings on the rubber.

Sowder said Turner’s pitching has given the team confidence.

“I just wanted to come out strong for the seniors,” Turner said. “I wanted to get the sweep. Riverside is kind of a cocky team and it’s nice to put away two wins today and be ahead in the series already.”

DeBaun scored the first run of the game on a standup double by Reyes in the opening frame. Reyes went 2-for-5 in the doubleheader with a pair of RBIs.

The 49ers played small ball in the third to tack on its final run.

Casey Burba laid down a bunt and made it safely to first base when UCR’s Taylor Thomas dropped the ball. Burba easily stole second and eventually scored on a sac fly to left field by Weber.

DeBaun sparked the offense after going 2-for-2, drawing a walk and scoring a run.

“I don’t know if they were more relaxed,” Sowder said regarding the team’s hitting. “Brandy Reyes did a great job in both games in the first inning of getting us on the board, which kind of relaxes everybody a little bit more and they’re not pressing so much.”

The Beach wraps up its season with a 1 p.m. matchup tomorrow to close out the series.