Softball, Sports

‘Niner Notes: May 18

Softball: 49ers rack up eight All-Big West nods

All-Big West Conference Teams

Long Beach State had eight players collect All-Big West honors when the league announced its postseason awards on Tuesday.

Brandy Reyes and Liz Javier earned first-team accolades, while Taylor Petty, Jodi Nakawatase and Bree Stephan were second-team selections.

Brooke Turner, Nalani St. Germain and Ashley Weber nabbed honorable mention recognition.

Reyes, a senior, played primarily as a catcher and a designated player. She finished the season with a .301 batting average, 40 hits, 21 walks, 19 RBIs and eight doubles. Reyes also led the team with 12 multiple-hit games.

Javier, a junior transfer from Mt. SAC, hit .292 with 11 runs scored and 11 RBI. She committed just four errors in 133 chances at the third base position.

Petty was named to the All-Big West second team after topping the conference with 135 strikeouts and leading the team with a 2.50 earned run average. The sophomore finished the season with four shutouts and two one-hitters.

Nakawatase wrapped up her senior campaign with a .254 batting average to earn her first all-conference honor. She also compiled a .985 fielding percentage, committing just one error in 66 chances.

Stephan was also a second-team selection as she finished her freshman season with a .321 batting average, 27 hits and eight stolen bases. She batted .393 with 22 hits and 10 RBIs in Big West play.

St. Germain, also a freshman, earned honorable mention recognition after leading the team with 37 runs scored and 25 RBIs. She also ranks fifth in the 49er single-season record books with a team-best eight home runs.

Turner, who was named Big West Pitcher of the Week on Monday, added an honorable mention pick to earn her third career all-conference award. The junior pitcher registered a 2.79 ERA, five shutouts and 127 strikeouts.

Weber was named to the All-Big West team for the second year in a row after compiling a .248 batting average, 39 hits, 17 RBIs and 14 runs scored. She also ended the regular season ranked 13th in the nation on the toughest to strike out list.