Baseball, Sports

Bullpen pushes Dirtbags over Waves

It took a while, but Long Beach State used gifts from Pepperdine, as well as timely hitting, to snap its six-game losing streak on Tuesday night.

The Dirtbags (23-29) made the most of their seven walks to earn the 9-8 win over the visiting Pepperdine Waves in a game that nearly lasted four hours at Blair Field.

In true Dirtbag form, Kellen Hoime drew a leadoff walk to start the eighth inning and came around to score after an error and two sacrifices. Hoime’s run proved to be the game winner as the Waves (21-30) went quietly in the ninth inning.

“We made our errors and we made it tough,” head coach Mike Weathers said. “But I think our offense really answered the bell tonight. … We did some things offensively, because we got to be in a game for a change.”

Dirtbags starter Branden Pinder lasted only one inning in his previous start against Cal State Northridge last Sunday. The sophomore continued to struggle on against Pepperdine on Tuesday.

Pinder couldn’t get out of the second inning and left the game after surrendering three runs on five hits. He earned a no decision.

The Dirtbags’ bullpen provided the support, however, as reliever Kenny Arnerich led the group to the victory over Pepperdine.

Arnerich, David Brown, Ryan Donohue and Cris Trout combined to give up just three runs in six innings for the Dirtbags. Trout earned his second victory of the season.

“Kenny Arnerich was the key,” Weathers said. “He gave us the chance to come back.”

LBSU had built a comfortable three-run lead entering the seventh, but a defensive miscue helped Pepperdine tie the game at 8-8 in the seventh inning. The middle of the Dirtbags’ infield accounted for the two errors in Tuesday’s contest.

“There is fielding slumps, there’s no question,” Weathers said. “But they’re just doubting themselves. … These things happen.”

After going down 5-0 early, LBSU took advantage of two walks and a hit batsman as it broke through with four runs to take an 8-5 lead in the sixth inning. The Dirtbags scored all their runs in the frame with two outs.

The highlight of the inning came when Juan Avila, pinch-hitting for Tre Dennis, smashed a single to left field to bring around TJ Mittelstaedt.

“We had good energy (tonight),” Weathers said. “I think the effort is there, just sometimes we don’t perform very well.”

The Dirtbags were led on offense by Jonathan Jones’ three RBIs, despite an 0-for-2 day at the plate. Joey Terdoslavich pitched in with two RBIs of his own, while Mittelstaedt extended his hitting streak to 13 games by going 3-for-4.

LBSU will face UC Irvine beginning on Friday in Weathers’ last series as head coach. Jake Thompson, who had been suspended for his last start, is expected to take the mound this weekend. The Beach currently holds a two-point edge in the Black and Blue Rivalry standings over the Anteaters.