Baseball, Sports

Brock, Anteaters dash Dirtbags’ series hopes

A new starter yielded the same results for Long Beach State on Saturday.

Kenny Arnerich was roughed up in his first start of the season as the Dirtbags dropped their final series of the year with a 6-1 loss to UC Irvine at Blair Field.

Arnerich, who is normally a reliever, lasted just 3.2 innings and surrendered four runs on nine hits in the process. The junior was not helped much by his defense, which once again put multiple errors on the scoreboard.

The Dirtbags (23-31, 7-16 Big West Conference) finished with three errors in Saturday’s contest.

LBSU jumped on UCI starter Evan Brock in the first inning with back-to-back extra base hits to take a 1-0 lead, but that would prove to be the Dirtbags’ only bright spot in Saturday’s contest.

After tying the game in the second inning, the Anteaters took the lead with a sacrifice fly by Jeff Cusick that scored Casey Stevenson. Those would be the only runs that UCI (36-19, 16-7 Big West) would need to hand LBSU its 10th straight Big West Conference loss.

The last time that the Dirtbags won a conference game was against Cal Poly on April 30.

The Anteaters added four more runs for good measure. Stevenson dealt the demoralizing blow when he smashed a two-run home run to right field off of the Dirtbags’ Eddie Magallon in the eighth inning.

For the second straight game the Dirtbags’ faced a formidable opponent on the mound as Brock pitched into the ninth inning for UCI. The freshman had eight strikeouts and surrendered just one run in eight-plus innings of work for the Anteaters. The right hander didn’t allow a walk in his time on the hill.

Joey Terdoslavich went 2-for-4 with one RBI to lead the Dirtbags on offense. Steve Tinoco also pitched in with a 2-for-4 effort.

Stevenson paced the Anteaters by going 5-for-5 with three RBIs and two runs scored.

LBSU will look to earn soon-to-be retired head coach Mike Weathers a win in his final game at the helm in its last game of 2010 on Sunday. First pitch for that contest with UCI is scheduled for 1 p.m.