Cup Talk: U.S. outcome bittersweet

After an entertaining display in the group stages, the United States was eliminated by Ghana 2-1 this past Saturday in the round of 16. However, this World Cup proved to be a historic tournament for the Americans. They finished undefeated and in first place in their group for the first time at the tournament since 1930.

But in the round of 16 against Ghana, they fell behind in the fifth minute after Ricardo Clark lost possession in the midfield to Kevin-Prince Boateng who ran down the middle of the field in a counter attack and scored with a shot from outside the goal area. The U.S. in the first half was not able to establish its defensive and midfield lines with Ghana controlling possession of the ball while playing more creative and loose on the field.

In the second half, Michael Bradley and Maurice Edu finally established themselves in the defensive-midfield position and were able to start picking apart Ghana’s offense. In addition, the U.S. offense also started to create chances with the substitution of Benny Feilhaber and tied the game in the 65th minute with a well-executed penalty kick from Landon Donovan. But in overtime, the U.S. fell behind once again after forward Asamoah Gyan beat U.S. defender Carlos Bocanegra to the ball in a breakaway and delivered a superb shot to beat goaltender Tim Howard and seal the victory for Ghana.

Before the tournament began, experts predicted the U.S. to qualify to the round of 16 in second behind England. Both teams faced each other in their opening game, with England taking an early lead at the fourth minute with a goal from Steven Gerrard. The U.S. tied the score 1-1 in the 40th minute when goalie Robert Green failed to secure a shot from Clint Dempsey.

The game presented a great stalemate in the midfield with England trying to maintain possession and pushing forward. But the U.S. defended well and had great goalkeeping from Howard. The Americans had a chance to take the lead after forward Jozy Altidore had a breakaway in the second half, only to see his opportunity blocked by the goalkeeper before deflecting off the goalpost.

However, what is extraordinary for the U.S. in this tournament compared to previous World Cups is that the U.S. was not seen as an underdog in its remaining matches. On the contrary, the Americans were seen as the dominant soccer team ahead of Slovenia and Algeria in group play.

In the 2006 World Cup, the U.S. was destined to crash out in the group stages when it was paired with Italy (eventual champions), Czech Republic and Ghana. Of course, Slovenia and Algeria do not have the soccer reputation of Italy and Czech Republic. But the U.S., seen as favorites at the World Cup, is uncharted territory and is a great compliment to the development of soccer in the country.

This year’s tournament brought many exciting moments to the U.S. that cemented its credentials with entertaining soccer. But to improve the team for 2014, they will need some changes.

First of all, the U.S. Soccer Federation should not fire head coach Bob Bradley and should continue the system he has established in the team. Secondly, the team needs reconstruction in the defensive section due to aging players such as Steve Cherundolo, Jay DeMerit and Bocanegra. Finally, they must also develop a striker who can perform at the World Cup.

Altidore is young and will mature as a player in the next four years. Yet, if the U.S. continues to depend on Donavan and midfielders to score, they will never be able to advance in the World Cup.