Men's Volleyball, Sports

49ers roll out of bed for third straight sweep

Through the first three matches of the season, the Long Beach State women’s volleyball team has yet to drop a set.

An early morning start didn’t derail the young 49ers, who swept Sacred Heart in three sets — 25-10, 25-15, 25-12 — Saturday at the Walter Pyramid.

LBSU (3-0) was paced by outside hitter Janisa Johnson for a second straight match. The sophomore collected her second double-double of the season with 11 kills and a career-high 14 digs. Junior Caitlin Ledoux led all hitters with 13 kills.

True freshman setter Ashley Vazquez played another solid all-around match, posting 31 assists to go with five digs, a match-high four service aces and three blocks. Another 49er enjoying a strong start to the season is sophomore Libby Fontanilla, who added three service aces to run her total to nine this year.

“My comfort level is pretty high,” Fontanilla said. “It makes it easier for me to go back there and just serve as hard as I can to make it an ace every single time.”

The Beach hit .352 as a team while allowing just a .052 clip.

The Pioneers (0-2) were led by senior setter Courtney Kidd-Kadlubek, who recorded 21 assists and six digs.

True freshman middle blocker Haleigh Hampton recorded a block on the most impressive rally of the match to put The Beach ahead, 14-7, in set three.

“It’s great to have people that are tall and physical,” Ledoux said of the 6-foot-7 Hampton. “It’s great having a huge girl that’s good. She’s very good.”

The ‘Niners then went on an 8-1 run, highlighted by a pair of aces from Fontanilla, to pull away en route to a 25-12 win.

“Libby works so hard at hitting that ball,” LBSU head coach Brian Gimmillaro said. “It’s a hard role. It’s very hard to come off the bench and be like a pinch-hitter.”

Ledoux led the way in set two, hammering six kills including the final point of a 25-15 victory. The Pioneers put up a fight, hitting .323 in the set, but the 49ers hit a staggering .536 to counter the attack.

LBSU’s only low point in a first-set victory was five service errors, accounting for half of Sacred Heart’s point total in a 25-10 affair to open the match. The Pioneers made just two kills, hit a woeful -.259 in the frame and trailed the entire way.

The 49ers will close the Long Beach State Baden Classic with a tough matchup against No. 25 Saint Mary’s later in the day at 7 p.m.

The Gaels (2-0) earned the final spot in the American Volleyball Coaches Association Preseason Top 25 poll, while the ‘Niners received the most votes of any team not ranked.

“Everyone is really excited for this match tonight. We should’ve been [ranked],” Ledoux said.