Men's Volleyball, Sports

No. 24 LBSU suffers 5-set letdown

For the second time in less than 24 hours, the Long Beach State women’s volleyball team needed five sets to decide a winner. This time, however, the 49ers took a hit in the loss column.

The No. 24 49ers rallied from an 0-2 deficit but fell to Middle Tennessee State — 25-23, 25-9, 20-25, 20-25, 17-15 — Saturday afternoon in Denver, Colo.

LBSU (8-3) was leading 8-5 in the fifth set as the teams switched sides, but the Blue Raiders (9-4) executed a rally of their own. Middle Tennessee State scored four of the next five to tie the score at 9.

Trailing 13-10, the 49ers then went on a quick 3-0 run to knot the score. Eventually, however, the Blue Raiders created three match-point opportunities to keep the pressure on The Beach and prevailed, 17-15.

The loss comes after the ‘Niners were able to knock off No. 14 Colorado State the previous night.

The Beach overcame a five-point deficit midway through set four to claim a 25-20 victory and force the deciding frame.

Down 17-12, LBSU scored five consecutive points to tie the set at 17. The 49ers eventually gained a 19-18 advantage and, with the help of a pair of service aces, closed out the set.

Middle Tennessee State didn’t do much to help its own cause, making 11 hitting errors in the fourth set.

Caitlin Ledoux tallied a match-best 17 kills to go with nine digs and six blocks to pace the 49ers, who were unable to capitalize on the Blue Raiders’ 37 attack errors.

Lindsay Cheatham powered Middle Tennessee State to victory with 13 kills on .524 hitting and six blocks. Teammate Brynne Henderson led all players with 14 digs, while Ashley Adams recorded a team-high 16 kills.

LBSU let set one slip away, falling 25-23 in the opener.

Middle Tennessee State trailed by five points early but slowly chipped away and tied the frame at 17. The Blue Raiders then took three of the next four points and edged the ‘Niners the rest of the way.

The 49ers were drubbed in the second set, 25-9.

Leading 6-4, Middle Tennessee State closed the frame on a 19-5 run. The Blue Raiders hit an impressive .579 in the set, while LBSU registered a woeful -.040 mark.

The Beach started its comeback attempt with a 25-20 victory in set three. Middle Tennessee State was plagued by 10 hitting errors in the frame.

LBSU will return to action against Denver later tonight at 6 p.m.