Men's Basketball, Sports

Men’s basketball heads to Virgin Islands

Although they’ll be playing in paradise, the 49ers men’s basketball team needs to remain focused as they travel to the U.S. Virgin Islands to participate in the Paradise Jam Tournament.

In a rematch from last season, Long Beach State (1-1) kicks off the tournament Friday against Clemson (2-0).

The 49ers nearly pulled off an upset in last season’s contest, in what was essentially a home game. Ultimately, LBSU came up short as they fell to the Tigers, 87-79, in the second round of the 76 Classic at the Anaheim Convention Center.

“They’ve got a lot of guys who are relentless rebounders and great off the dribble,” 49ers head coach Dan Monson said. “They have that [Atlantic Coast Conference] mentality of just coming at you everyday.”

Three 49ers finished last year’s game with double-doubles, for the first time since 1980. T.J. Robinson led the way with 25 points and 15 rebounds, followed by Casper Ware’s 20 points and 10 assists. Eugene Phelps added 12 points and 10 rebounds.

Clemson hurt LBSU last season with a balanced attack on offense as six Tigers posted 10 or more points.

Returning for the rematch are starting guards Tanner Smith and Demontez Stitt, who combined for 33 points, nine rebounds and seven assists against The Beach. Also returning is guard Andre Young, who provided a spark for the Tigers off the bench with 13 points and five assists.

Monson noted on Wednesday that he has been impressed with one aspect of his guards play early in the season.

“Our biggest positive is that we are taking care of the ball better than we did last year and seem to have a little bit better chemistry and leadership,” Monson said.

The winner of Friday’s contest, which is set to start at 12:30 p.m., will go on to face the winner of the game between Saint Peter’s (0-1) and Old Dominion (1-1). The other bracket includes games featuring Alabama (2-0) and Seton Hall (1-1), as well as Iowa (1-1) and Xavier (2-0).

Robinson rebounding

Robinson, a preseason first-team All-Big West selection, will be looking for his first double-double of the season against Clemson as he tries to rebound from a rare off night in Monday’s 82-65 win vs. San Francisco State. Robinson had as many turnovers (6) as points against the Gators.

“Everyone has an off night here and there but my teammates picked me up,” Robinson said. “They had my back.”

Robinson had 17 double-doubles as a sophomore last season.