Sports, Women's Basketball

Freshman scores half of points in loss

LOS ANGELES — The Long Beach State women’s basketball team learned the hard way Sunday that having the best player on the court doesn’t always translate into a victory.

Freshman Brandi Henton posted a career-high 30 points along with a team-high seven rebounds, but it wasn’t enough as the 49ers (0-4) dropped their fourth consecutive game, 82-60, to USC at the Galen Center.

“I think we need to compliment [Henton’s] offensive ability,” LBSU head coach Jody Wynn said. “She’s starting our [fast break] by getting a lot of boards and she’s strong enough to get a defensive rebound and then push it out, which is going to be great when we get our outside threats back.”

Henton accounted for half The Beach’s points, while its next leading scorer, Tipesa Moorer, chipped in with eight points.

“Right now, I think she has WNBA potential,” USC head coach Michael Cooper said of Henton. “But you have to see how her development goes. I mean, she can get to the basket, and that’s a rarity for the WNBA, and with her being able to knock down that 3 makes her a double threat.”

Meanwhile, the Trojans (2-1) received double-figure scoring contributions from four of its players. Cassie Harberts powered USC with 14 points and eight rebounds, while Jacki Gemelos also finished with 14 and a game-high six assists.

The Trojans stormed out to an 8-0 run to open the contest after Christina Marinacci swished a straightaway jumper. Then, the ‘Niners roared back to drain three consecutive 3-pointers to pull within one at the 11:05 mark.

However, LBSU’s 13 turnovers and USC’s 11 second-chance points off 12 offensive rebounds sparked a 26-11 swing from the Trojans, who finished the half with a 36-20 advantage.

“I think we’re having slow starts because I think it takes us a lot to get our momentum going,” said Henton, who was the first 49er to score 30 points in a game since 2008. “We just have to come out with more aggression and I think that’s what we lack right now.”

Things went from bad to worse for the 49ers in the second period as USC’s next seven buckets came from beyond the arc, which helped open a 75-43 cushion with 6:50 left to play.

“Our reaction time wasn’t the quickest,” Wynn said. “We kind of watched the ball and then flew, instead of moving on the flight of the ball.”

The ‘Niners then went on a 12-2 run — thanks to Henton’s relentless attacks to the basket — that brought them to within 22 points, but that was as close as they would come.

LBSU returns to action next weekend as it travels to Hawaii for the Waikiki Beach Marriot Rainbow Wahine tournament. The Beach begins the eight-team tournament Friday against Illinois. Tipoff is set for 4:30 p.m. (PT).