Men's Basketball, Sports

‘Niners hit road to face Pac-10 favorite, No. 11 Washington

The Long Beach State men’s basketball team will try to rebound — literally — Tuesday when it faces preseason Pac-10 Conference-favorite Washington on the road in Seattle.

The 49ers (3-3), who traveled Monday and could not be reached for comment, will be coming off an 80-77 overtime loss at home to Loyola Marymount. The Lions outworked the ‘Niners for 16 offensive rebounds in the second half and overtime combined, and finished with 21 for the game.

A perplexed LBSU head coach Dan Monson was left questioning his team’s decision making after the contest last Saturday.

“[LMU] did a great job around the basket,” he said, “and we just kept trying to force up tough shots than make another pass.”

T.J. Robinson scored 16 points and grabbed 15 boards to bump his season averages up to 13.3 points and 10.5 rebounds.

“They are balanced, very, very quick and athletic,” UW head coach Lorenzo Romar said of the 49ers via teleconference on Monday.

Meanwhile, the Huskies, ranked 22nd in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches’ Poll and 23rd in the Associated Press Top 25, are coming off back-to-back losses in last week’s Maui Invitational in Hawaii. UW (3-2) lost 74-67 to No. 8/9 Kentucky before falling, 76-71, to No. 2 Michigan State in the third-place game.

“I don’t think we had the right mindset against Kentucky,” Romar said.

The Huskies also blew a 10-point halftime lead against the Spartans.

It appears the 49ers have found a team that struggles just as much from the free-throw line. As a team, LBSU has shot 60.2 percent (80-of-133) compared to UW’s 58 percent (69-of-119).

“I don’t see a reason to panic,” Romar said.

The Beach will have to contend with the Huskies’ duo of Isaiah Thomas and Matthew Bryan-Amaning, who led UW to a Sweet 16 appearance in last season’s NCAA Tournament.

Thomas, a quick 5-8 guard, struggled with his shot in both losses, converting a combined 8-of-25 from the field. Bryan-Amaning, a 6-9, 240-pound forward, scored 15 points on 5-of-10 shooting and grabbed six rebounds in the last contest.

Tipoff at Hec Edmundson Pavilion is scheduled for 8 p.m. and will air on Fox Sports Northwest. Legends Sports Bar, located on Second Street, will also have the game available.