Sports, Women's Basketball

‘Niners drop rematch with PVAMU

The Long Beach State women’s basketball team unravelled late in the second half Friday as it dropped its opening game of the Gene Hackerman Invitational in Houston.

The 49ers (1-7) trailed by as little as two points with under 10 minutes left to play, but a string of turnovers and poor shooting led to a 62-52 loss to the Lady Cougars at the Tudor Fieldhouse.

The Beach came out with purpose to start the second half as they took their first lead of the contest, 33-32, after a blocked shot from Courtney Jacob propelled a fastbreak layup by Tipesa Moorer.

But LBSU’s lead was short-lived as it went on a five-minute scoring drought. Dominique Smith drained a shot from beyond the arc to cap an 11-0 run for PVAMU (3-3) with 15:11 remaining in the game.

However, the ‘Niners roared back after hitting five of their next six shots to cut the deficit, 47-45, with 9:48 left to play.

But from there, The Beach committed 7 turnovers and missed six of its next seven shots. PVAMU went up by as many as 14 points with 1:09 left to play as it held on for a 10-point victory.

Despite outshooting the Lady Panthers, 43.8 percent to 38.6 percent, the 49ers finished with a staggering 31 turnovers and allowed 15 offensive rebounds.

Junior Tipesa Moorer led The Beach with a season-high 15 points, while Ella Clark finished with an all-around effort of 12 points, eight rebounds and two blocks.

Meanwhile, Dominique Smith paced the Lady Panthers with 21 points, while Robin Jones added a double-double with 14 points and a game-high 10 rebounds. Siarra Soliz also chipped in with 15 points and four assists.

The Lady Panthers stormed out to a 16-7 lead to open up the contest and went up by as many as 11 points after a pair of free throws by Jones.

The ‘Niners then closed in on PVAMU with a 10-2 surge that was capped by a jumper from Amanda Sims to cut the lead, 28-25, with 2:21 remaining in the half. The Beach then traded baskets with the Lady Panthers as it trailed by a 32-29 margin at the break.

The 49ers return to action Saturday as they concludes the Gene Hackerman Invitational against either Rice or Louisiana-Monroe. Tipoff is set for 3 p.m. (PT).