Sports, Women's Basketball

‘Niners falter in second half against Toreros

The Long Beach State women’s basketball team’s long awaited return to the Walter Pyramid was anything but climactic as it found itself in an all too familiar position.

The 49ers — who played their last six games on the road — suffered their ninth double-digit loss of the season after a second half letdown Wednesday, 68-53, to the University of San Diego.

“It’s deflating when you’re not getting a stop and not scoring on the other end of the court,” LBSU head coach Jody Wynn said. “To win games, you have to effort combined with performance, and I think our effort was there for the most part.”

With the game tied at 34, The Beach (1-9) became its own worst enemy as it shot poorly for the first 6 minutes of the second period. In that span, LBSU failed to convert on a single shot attempt and finished a dismal 24.6 percent from the field in the game.

Making matters worse, the Toreros (6-3) stormed out to an 18-2 run sparked by a 3-pointer from Morgan Woodrow. From there, LBSU was unable chip away at the deficit as USD held on for the 15-point victory.

Senior Courtney Jacob paced The Beach with 16 points and three assists, while freshman Brandi Henton added a double-double as she registered 13 points and 11 boards.

Meanwhile, the Toreros received an all-around effort as four players scored in double figures. Emily Hatch led the way a double-double as she posted 16 points and a game-high 14 rebounds.

The 49ers finished with a season-low 11 turnovers to USD’s 16, but were owned on the glass, 54-39.

LBSU returns to action Saturday as it travels to Berkeley to face California. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m.