No decisions made in Big West expansion talks

The Big West Conference met late into Wednesday night at the Westin Hotel in Los Angeles to discuss the idea of expansion.

Calls to Big West commissioner Dennis Farrell were not immediately returned as of 11:30 p.m.

Hawaii, Cal State Bakersfield and UC San Diego are seeking membership into the nine-member conference.

It was unclear whether a vote via teleconference among the board members was conducted. An institution needs seven of nine votes from the chancellors and school presidents in the Big West to be extended a membership invitation.

Idaho and Utah State were the last non-California institutions to compete in the Big West before both left in 2005. Hawaii competed in the Pacific Coast Athletic Association/Big West for 11 years in women’s athletics before leaving in 1996 to become a full member in the Western Athletic Conference.

UC Davis was the last school added to the Big West in 2007, but the conference lifted its five-year membership moratorium Nov. 16 to allow for the possibility of expansion.

Hawaii, a member of the WAC for 32 years, is the longest-tenured institution in the conference. The school is also expected to receive an official invitation this week to join the Mountain West Conference as a football-only member, the Salt Lake Tribune reported last Saturday.