Sports, Women's Basketball

LBSU continues rough stretch

The Pac-10 Conference hasn’t been too kind to the Long Beach State women’s basketball team this season and it only got worse in front of 1,189 fans at the Haas Pavilion on Saturday.

The 49ers found themselves on the receiving end of an 82-56 beat down to California as they dropped their 10th game of the season and fifth to a Pac-10 opponent.

The Beach (1-10) surrendered 27 points to Cal sophomore DeNesha Stallworth, who shot a stellar 12-of-18 from the field, while Talia Caldwell added a double-double with 17 points and 11 rebounds.

Courtney Jacob paced the ‘Niners with a team-high 18 points and six boards, while Amanda Sims tallied 11 points on a perfect 5-for-5 shooting. However, their efforts weren’t enough to fend off Cal (6-2), who outscored the ‘Niners, 26-14, after holding just a two-point edge in the final 12 minutes of the first half.

LBSU didn’t fair any better in the second frame as the Golden Bears used a 14-4 run to extend their lead to as many as 30 points with 5:11 remaining in the game. From there, the ‘Niners were unable to move within striking distance as Cal cruised to a 26-point victory.

The Beach shot a solid 41.7 percent from the field, but were dominated on the glass. The Golden Bears finished with a 46-31 rebounding edge thanks to an impressive 21 offensive boards to the 49ers’ 11.

LBSU returns to action Dec. 19 to host the Beach Classic Presented by Hotel Maya. The 49ers kick off the three-day tournament against Florida A&M. Tipoff is scheduled for 2 p.m. at the Walter Pyramid.