Sports, Women's Basketball

Extra possessions haunt ‘Niners

After opening Big West Conference play with what head coach Jody Wynn called a “lifeless” effort, the Long Beach State women’s basketball team started Sunday’s game with a little more fight.

However, the 49ers could not capitalize on an early 14-point lead and lost, 83-72, to visiting Cal Poly at the Walter Pyramid.

Wynn said the team has lacked a “defensive grit” so far this season.

“I figure we turned the ball over 22 times and gave up 18 offensive boards so that’s about 40 extra possessions they get,” she added. “We didn’t rattle them like they rattled us.”

LBSU (2-13, 0-2 Big West) was paced by freshman guard Brandi Henton, who scored a game-high 23 points on 8-of-16 shooting including a career-high four 3-pointers. Senior forward Courtney Jacob chipped in with 14 points, nine rebounds and five assists.

Senior point guard Melanie Lisnock, who had her best offensive performance since returning from injury, added 12 points and seven assists.

“We need to put two halves together,” Lisnock said.

Five Mustangs (5-7, 1-0 Big West) scored in double figures led by Ashlee Burns’ 17 points off the bench. Sophomore guard Kayla Griffin added a double-double with 14 points and 11 rebounds.

Trailing 73-65, Ella Clark’s 3-pointer with 4:51 to play cut the LBSU deficit to five points but it would get no closer. The 49ers scored just four points the rest of the way.

The Mustangs opened the second half on a 15-5 run and took their first lead of the contest, 53-51, on a pair of Desiray Johnston free throws with 16:10 remaining. Cal Poly extended the lead to double digits, 65-55, on Caroline Reeves’ basket with 11:40 remaining.

“We have defensive breakdowns nearly every possession,” Wynn said.

After converting on half of its attempts before the break, The Beach started just 3 of 12 from the field in the second half and finished the period 9 of 29 (31 percent). Cal Poly didn’t fare much better, shooting just 38 percent (30 of 79) for the contest but committed just two turnovers in the second half.

Sparked by a 12-0 run to start the contest, the ‘Niners led 46-43 at halftime. Lisnock, Henton and Jacob combined for 35 of the team’s 46 points.

Henton and Jacob also accounted for five of the 49ers’ seven 3-pointers in the first 20 minutes.

Trailing 20-6, Cal Poly applied full-court pressure late in the half to chip away at LBSU’s lead and used a 10-3 run to get back in the game.

The 49ers return to action Wednesday on the road at Cal State Northridge (1-13, 1-1 Big West). Tipoff at the Matadome is scheduled for 7 p.m.

The Matadors lost to UC Davis, 78-56, this afternoon.