Sports, Women's Basketball

49er women pick up first Big West victory

NORTHRIDGE — After surrendering just over 75 points per game through 15 contests, the Long Beach State women’s basketball team displayed something it’s lacked all season on Wednesday: true defensive grit.

The 49ers finished with a season-high 13 steals and forced 24 turnovers en route to its first Big West Conference victory of the season, 64-50, over Cal State Northridge at the Matadome.

Although LBSU was out-rebounded, 52-45, it held the Matadors to just 26.1 percent shooting from the field (18-of-69). Meanwhile, the ‘Niners shot 37.1 percent (26-of-70).

“We made a concentrated effort on the defensive end,” LBSU head coach Jody Wynn said. “We moved the ball, we shared the ball and we didn’t shoot particularly well — but at least there was effort and intensity.”

Freshman Brandi Henton led the way for The Beach (3-13, 1-2 Big West) with 15 points and three steals, while Ella Clark scored 14 off the bench. Tipesa Moorer also chipped in 10 points as a reserve.

“We had some big contributors off the bench and we need that.” Wynn said. “It was nice to see some good offensive performances from Ella and Tipesa because we gotta get them going.”

Meanwhile, Courtney Jacob — the 49ers’ leading scorer — had a quiet night offensively and scored just one point. She took a season-low four shots, but finished with a team-high seven rebounds, six assists and five steals.

The Matadors (1-14, 1-2 Big West) were paced by Violet Alama, who registered 20 points and 11 rebounds, while Jasmine Erving added 16 points and a game-high 16 rebounds.

After holding a 30-22 edge at the half, the 49ers went on a 9-0 run that was capped by back-to-back 3-pointers from Clark with just over four minutes gone by.

CSUN eventually thwarted the run after Alama completed a 3-point-play that ignited a 9-2 surge to cut the ‘Niner lead back down to single digits, 41-33, at the 12:38 mark.

But LBSU responded with heavy full-court pressure that prompted a 9-0 run to match its largest lead of the contest, 50-33, with 7:10 remaining.

The Matadors pulled back to within nine after a corner 3 from Analee Viena-Lota, but that’s as close as they would get as the 49ers cruised to the 14-point victory.

“We just came together,” Henton said. “I mean, who likes losing? We can still make this our season, so this game was about not giving up and fighting back together.”

The two teams were on a seesaw battle to open up the contest as the lead changed six times before The Beach used a 15-2 run to take a commanding 24-12 lead with 3:17 to go.

CSUN clawed back into the first half by outscoring the ‘Niners, 10-6, down the stretch to cut the deficit down to eight at the break.

LBSU continues Big West play Saturday against UC Irvine (10-4, 2-0 Big West) at the Bren Events Center. Tipoff is set for 4 p.m.

The Anteaters defeated Cal State Fullerton, 70-65, Wednesday at Titan Gym.