Men's Basketball, Sports

Ware guides The Beach to third straight win

The Long Beach State men’s basketball team won its third straight game Wednesday night in an 85-71 rout over Cal State Northridge in front of 1,956 fans at the Walter Pyramid.

The 49ers (8-8, 3-0 Big West Conference) have started conference play with their first three-game win streak of the season. Head coach Dan Monson knows The Beach needs much more to win the Big West.

“Three wins isn’t going to win this league, we’re not satisfied,” Monson said.

Long Beach State shot 54.4 percent from the field compared to the Matadors’ (4-10, 1-2 Big West) 43.9 percent. The Beach also out rebounded CSUN, 39-28.

Four of the five LBSU starters reached double-digit points led by junior Casper Ware, who had a career high in points with 23 and a game-high six assists.

“[Ware] is a flow player,” Monson said. “He got into a great flow today.”

Ware also had a career high in 3-pointers, hitting 5-of-9 from beyond the arc.

“For a while I didn’t want to go inside,” Ware said.

Junior Larry Anderson continued his stellar play since his return from injury, knocking in 9-of-12 field goals for 19 points and five steals. Junior Eugene Phelps contributed 18 points and nine rebounds while junior T.J. Robinson added 15 points and eight rebounds.

For much of the first half The Beach struggled to stop the Matador offense.

“Our guys got a little frustrated defensively, and you got to give Northridge credit,” Monson said.

The 49ers’ run didn’t start till 7 minutes left in the first half when they went on a 19-4 run, which put them up 41-30 with 2:40 left until halftime. LBSU maintained the momentum with a 12-3 scoring run to start the second half.

“Coach [Monson] told us for us to win this game we need to come out make some stops and get the first run,” Ware said.

The Beach never saw its lead drop into single digits in the second half and reached as much as 19 points at 75-56 with 8:09 left to play.

Senior Rashaun McLemore led the Northridge with 20 points. Senior Lenny Daniel put up a double-double with 18 points and 11 rebounds.

Long Beach State returns to Big West action against UC Irvine on Saturday at 4:05 p.m. at the Walter Pyramid.

Phelps is focused on continuing the winning streak.

“We just gotta be ready to play no matter who it is,” he said. “We gotta D up and try to get the ‘W.'”

The 49ers will also be hosting their fifth annual “Salute to the Services Night” to benefit Soldiers’ Angels.

Fans are encouraged to bring new, unopened items such as packaged snacks, deodorant, body wash, socks and toiletries to be sent in care packages to active-duty soldiers serving the United States in Iraq and Afghanistan.