Men's Basketball, Sports

MCDANNALD: Men’s basketball showcases vulnerable concerns

Thoughts of running away with the Big West Conference regular-season title have quickly vanished for Long Beach State men’s basketball followers.

The 49ers (11-10, 6-2 Big West), who opened conference play with six consecutive victories, promptly dropped both of their games last week.

Instead of distancing itself from the pack, first-place LBSU now holds a 1 1/2-game lead over Cal Poly (8-10, 4-3 Big West) and looks vulnerable. Not too far behind in the tight race are Cal State Fullerton (8-12, 4-4 Big West), and a tie for fourth place between UC Santa Barbara, the University of the Pacific, UC Irvine and Cal State Northridge — which are each 3-3 in Big West action.

A pair of particularly dangerous teams lurk in that four-team sandwich. The Gauchos are the defending conference champions with reigning Big West Player of the Year Orlando Johnson, while the Tigers are arguably the most well-coached team in the league with Bob Thomason.

Granted, there is no reason to panic, but LBSU head coach Dan Monson knows his team is in for a fight until March.

Elephant at the 3-point line

It was no secret coming into the season that senior guard Greg Plater was the lone consistent 3-point threat for The Beach. That was only further exposed last Saturday in Irvine.

That quick start to Big West action looked like fool’s gold against UCI, as the ‘Niners finished just 4 of 23 (17.4 percent) from beyond the arc. Plater, who opened with 15 first-half points, scored just three more the rest of the way and finished 4 of 13 from long range. Meanwhile, his teammates combined to miss the 10 remaining 3-point attempts against the Anteaters’ zone defense.

There are other players capable of hitting their share of 3s, as junior point guard Casper Ware demonstrated with his 5-of-9 performance against the Titans last Wednesday. However, defenses will continue to disrespect LBSU from outside until someone other than Plater comes through routinely.

But don’t hold your breath. It is a roster filled with slashers, but not enough pure shooters. As a team, the 49ers rank seventh in the nine-team conference at 32.9 percent from 3-point range.

Instead, Ware’s ability to penetrate into the lane and find teammates around the basket, or kick out to open shooters, will be heavily relied upon.

That leads to …

For whatever reason, LBSU had issues finishing strong around the basket against UCI.

How bad was it?

Anteaters sophomore Mike Wilder, a 6-2 guard give or take a few inches because of his ginormous afro, managed to finish with three of the team’s seven blocked shots. In fact, Anteaters senior Peter Simek, who stands at 6-9, was the only player taller than 6-6 to record a block.

And when the 49ers did not see their shots sent back, there was usually a UCI defender or two flying at them to contest a long jump shot while the others crowded the paint.

This week’s games

LBSU will head north to face Pacific in Stockton on Wednesday night before hosting CSUF on Saturday at the Walter Pyramid. Tipoff against the Tigers is slated for 7 p.m., while the match-up against the Titans will start at 7:30 p.m. to accommodate the TV slot on Fox Sports West.

The 49ers escaped with a 70-69 home victory over UOP on Jan. 15 thanks to Ware’s game-winning jumper with 10.1 seconds to play. Last Wednesday, The Beach scored 13 points in the final 55 seconds but ultimately lost, 89-87, to CSUF in Fullerton.

Pacific (11-8 overall) is coming off a brilliant 15-of-21 (71.4 percent) display from 3-point range — third-most in school history — in an 87-54 blowout over UC Davis last Saturday.

After their victory over the 49ers, the Titans capped the week with an impressive 63-58 win against the Gauchos.

Record watch

Those attending Saturday’s rivalry game might want to think about an early arrival if they want a seat. The season opener against San Diego State attracted a record crowd of 5,143 with many standing along the railing of the upper concourse level.

In the contest against Pacific over winter break, 4,732 showed up — and that was with a bulk of the Maniacs student section not in attendance.

Take into account a cross-town rivalry with a traveling Fullerton crowd that should be more than well represented, and it’s not inconceivable to think a new record may be set. Last year’s LBSU-CSUF contest at the Pyramid drew 4,806 fans.

Big West Players of the Week

On the women’s side, LBSU senior guard Courtney Jacob was named Big West Player of the Week on Monday. CSUF’s Orane Chin received the men’s honor.

For up-to-the-minute Long Beach State sports updates, follow the Daily 49er sports desk @49erSports on Twitter.