Men's Basketball, Sports

49ers steal victory in final seconds

A second one-point thriller over the University of the Pacific strengthened the Long Beach State men’s basketball team’s hold on the Big West Conference.

Larry Anderson’s layup with 9.7 seconds left gave LBSU a 67-66 victory Wednesday night at the Alex G. Spanos Center in Stockton.

“Larry’s activity we feed off of,” 49ers coach Dan Monson said in a release. “And he hasn’t had it the last two games. I was pleased to see him in a stance and with three steals it is indicative that he was active. That is very big for our team because the other kids feed off of him.”

LBSU (12-10, 7-2 Big West) stole the win behind the play of junior guards Casper Ware and Anderson.

In the final 5:45 of the game there were 10 lead changes.

Anderson played well in all aspects, knocking in 18 points, five rebounds, three assists, three steals and two blocks.

Ware hit a 3-pointer with 1:23 left in the first half to give him 1,002 career points — just the 19th LBSU player to break 1,000. He finished with 19 points and five assists.

Junior forward T.J. Robinson also chipped in 12 points to the ‘Niner attack.

The Tigers (11-9, 3-4 Big West) out-shot the 49ers, draining 51 percent (25 of 49) from the field compared to The Beach’s 48.2 percent (27 of 56).

Pacific forward Sam Willard led his team with 18 points and eight rebounds.

The 49ers also defeated the Tigers, 70-69, earlier this season at the Walter Pyramid.

LBSU returns to action Saturday night against Cal State Fullerton at the Walter Pyramid. Tipoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. and will be broadcast on Fox Sports West.