Men's Basketball, Sports

TAYLOR: Be ready to bring the hate to rivalry game

If there is only one Long Beach State men’s basketball game that you attend this season, make it this Saturday’s contest against Cal State Fullerton.

The importance of the contest doesn’t need to be forced when the two teams square off at 7:30 p.m. at the Walter Pyramid. LBSU will be looking to avenge its loss to CSUF last week and maintain a first-place standing in the Big West. The 49ers will be ahead of the Titans in the standings regardless of what happens in Saturday’s game, but a win could really crush anyone who thinks that the Titans can hang with the 49ers.

At the surface, LBSU and CSUF are very similar schools. They are two of the largest universities in the state, with enrollments exceeding 30,000. The campuses are only 30 minutes apart. Both athletic departments are known for its excellence in baseball.

Instead of being friendly because of all the common traits, these two teams are rivals. As they say, familiarity breeds contempt, and that’s what makes these games intense.

Dedan Brozino, director of marketing and corporate sponsorships for LBSU athletics, expects the game will be close to sold-out because of the 49ers’ success this season and the history of the rivalry.

“The rivalry dates back 53 years and Saturday’s game will be the 101st meeting on the hardwood between the schools,” Brozino said. “The students, faculty, staff and community show a tremendous amount of pride and support, especially when the Titans are on the other side. It’s great for the campus and collegiate basketball in such a competitive conference.”

Because of the absolutely disgusting feeling that the mention of the CSUF Titans creates, LBSU is taking this very seriously. Doors open at 6 p.m. for students and the first 1,000 fans who enter through the students’ entrance will receive a free rivalry-themed T-shirt.

The Maniacs student section will be up to its usual antics, according to Dale Johnson, former president of the formerly known Monson Maniacs. Previous stunts include calling a Titans player during warm-ups and heckling him as he answered his phone.

Two promotional videos have been made showcasing Hype, an unofficial 49ers mascot who wears a yellow body suit and a black “Beach” Speedo, on the miserable CSUF campus. Besides its lame Tuffy the Titan mascot and junior high school gym, why should the superior school worry about a bottom-feeder like CSUF?

“In some ways, it’s a bit offensive to see your ‘rival’ be an annoying little brother rather than a worthy nemesis,” Johnson said. “And the fact that they don’t realize they are second fiddle in this rivalry is another thing that frustrates Maniacs. Because, seriously, no one chooses to go to Cal State Fullerton. You end up there because you didn’t get in to Long Beach State.”

The on-court match-ups should be fun to watch.

T.J. Robinson and Eugene Phelps will have their hands full with CSUF’s frontcourt, led by Jer’Vaughn Johnson. In the backcourt, guards Greg Plater and Devon Peltier will try to match each other with 3-point shots and momentum swings. Point guards Casper Ware and Perry Webster are the top two facilitators in the Big West — although Ware has proven to be an exciting and more capable scorer, ranking sixth in the conference.

How could you not be compelled to watch this game? It’s free for all students with a school ID card. The basketball team is solid this season and it would be great to put that annoying rival in its place. The Pyramid will be rocking with Hype and the Maniacs, and you can join in and show off your school spirit.

If nothing else, come early and get yourself a free T-shirt. That white V-neck you’re wearing is starting to change colors.