Softball, Sports

Bounce-back year for 49ers softball?

Long Beach State softball has something to prove when the team starts its season this Saturday.

Coming off a campaign where the team finished 21-21 overall and 10-11 in Big West Conference play, head coach Kim Sowder said she wasn’t surprised the team was predicted to finish fourth by the eight-team league’s coaches.

“We certainly believe that we can do better than that, but we want to prove that on the field,” the fifth-year head coach said.

Proving themselves on the field will not come easy with a difficult schedule. The 49ers will play ranked opponents No. 6 Oklahoma (Feb. 25), defending national champion No. 2 UCLA (March 11), and eight other teams on the ESPN.com/USA Softball Top 25 preseason list.

The daunting schedule doesn’t faze senior starting pitcher Brooke Turner, who had surgery this fall to repair a torn labrum in her hip.

Turner is looking to put 14 balks and numerous illegal pitches in the 2010 season behind her after the NCAA strictly enforced rule 10.4.4 in the NCAA handbook: “No leaping is allowed. The pitcher may not become airborne on the initial drive from the pitcher’s plate. The pivot foot must slide/drag on the ground.”

“I ended up changing my start (of the delivery),” said the right-hander, who watched footage during the offseason to make adjustments. “I lift my foot up now when I start and kind of shove it into the ground so it stays there. The problem was I was hopping, almost.”

Sowder noted that Turner pitched her last six games last year without an illegal pitch called.

“I have confidence that she will be fine,” Sowder said.

Turner was just cleared to throw in the last three weeks following surgery, and has only pitched a few innings in scrimmages, Sowder added. Turner is listed as “doubtful” for the opening weekend but is more likely to start in the second weekend of play.

“We’re going to take it day by day and see if she’s ready,” Sowder said.

Despite the injury to Turner, Sowder said she’s confident in LBSU’s pitching staff, noting that junior Taylor Petty — with a team-low 2.50 ERA last season — and freshman Erin Jones-Wesley will most likely start in the season opener this weekend.

“[Jones-Wesley] pitched every inning for us this fall,” Sowder said. “So she’s certainly gonna step up and pitch right away and give us a lot of depth at the pitching position.”

True freshman Karli Sandoval and redshirt freshman Dana Garcia are vying for the catching position left vacant by Brandy Reyes. After solid performances from both catchers in the fall, Sowder said they will split duties.

Another spot up for grabs is shortstop, with juniors Jennifer Madigan and Alisha Rosen in the hunt.

Sowder appeared in no hurry to determine either the catcher or shortstop position.

“Come game time, who’s gonna perform better and who has the best chemistry and who’s best for the team?” Sowder said.

Sophomore Nalani St. Germain demonstrated last year that she had power (team-best eight home runs), speed (eight stolen bases) and a good eye (team-high 30 walks).

Fully recovered from a broken hand suffered during the fall, St. Germain said of the upcoming season, “I’m ready, I’m strong.”

Above all, Sowder stressed the most important aspect of Long Beach State’s game: its defense.

“You’ve got to play good defense all the time and we take great pride in our defense,” Sowder said.

The Beach will open the season at the 49er Softball Complex with a pair of doubleheaders against Loyola Marymount and Boise State in the LBSU Round Robin on Saturday and Sunday.

The 49ers will play at 9 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. on both days. Their opponents will swap start times for Sunday’s games, with LMU starting things off Saturday.

Projected starters for opening weekend

C – Karli Sandoval/Dana Garcia (platoon)

1B – Christina Schallig

2B – Nalani St. Germain

3B – Liz Javier

SS – Jennifer Madigan/Alisha Rosen

LF – Megan Denio

CF – Brianna Stephan

RF – Caitrin DeBaun

DP – Hannah De Gaetano/Sarah Carrasco

P – Taylor Petty/Erin Jones-Wesley/Brooke Turner (doubtful)

*Per Long Beach State head coach Kim Sowder