Softball, Sports

Two-out rally lifts ‘Niners in season opener

Long Beach State senior Liz Javier drove in what proved to be the winning runs of the softball team’s 5-3 season-opening victory against Loyola Marymount Saturday at the 49er Softball Complex.

With two strikes, two outs and the score tied at 3, the third baseman hit a two-run bloop single to right field in the fifth inning.

“We worked really hard over the fall and we have a lot of confidence,” Javier said. “I don’t care if it is the seventh inning, with two outs and two strikes.”

The single came directly after LBSU senior Christina Schallig tied the game on a first-pitch RBI double to the wall in left field.

Both the tying and winning runs came with two outs in the bottom of the fifth.

“We had some real big hits, some timely hits, from our seniors,” 49ers head coach Kim Sowder said. [“They showed] great leadership.”

A three-run home run by LMU first baseman Kelly Sarginson in the top of the fifth threatened to mar a strong opening for LBSU junior starting pitcher Taylor Petty. Until the fifth, the ‘Niners had cruised to a 2-0 lead on Petty’s pitching.

The homer hit the top of the wall and bounced over, making the score 3-2. It came after Sowder’s decision to intentionally walk LMU shortstop Sam Fischer, who had a hit against Petty in the first inning.

“[She] is a proven hitter; she’s one heck of a hitter,” Sowder said. “I don’t regret the decision at all. [Sarginson] just stepped up had a nice at bat.”

In the seventh inning, Petty overcame two fielding errors by her infield and recorded the final three outs on swinging strikeouts.

“[She had a] great inning, she battled in that inning,” Sowder said.

Petty (1-0) pitched a complete game with 10 strikeouts. The right-hander allowed three runs — all earned — on six hits and walked two batters.

The Lions’ Molly Medeiros (0-1) was charged with the loss. She allowed three earned runs on four hits in 4 2/3 innings of relief.

LMU starter Corie Goodman put all three batters she faced on base, walked two, allowed one unearned run and failed to record an out before being replaced.

The Beach will return later in the day to face Boise State at 1:15 p.m.