Softball, Sports

Freshman repeats performance against Boise State

Erin Jones-Wesley’s second start for the Long Beach State softball team (3-0) turned out much like her first one, with a 2-0 win over Boise State (1-3) Sunday at the 49er Softball Complex.

For the second day in a row, Jones-Wesley (2-0) had eight strikeouts and a complete game shutout.

“I was a little nervous pitching to the same team back to back ’cause I thought that maybe they would catch up on my pitches,” Jones-Wesley said. “But seeing that I did well in the first inning, I thought that maybe it’ll still work, that I could still do it.”

Head coach Kim Sowder said that Jones-Wesley, who has a 0.00 ERA over two games, had “pitched a great game.”

“I was very pleased with our defense behind Erin,” Sowder added. “It was nice to see Karli [Sandoval] gun down the first-base runner trying to steal on her.”

Freshman catcher Sandoval threw out Boise State leadoff hitter Kellie Caplan as she tried to steal second base on Jones-Wesley in the fourth.

“[The throw out] felt really good, ’cause it was my first actual throw out of my college career,” Sandoval said.

Caitrin DeBaun had her second consecutive multi-hit game and drove in the only earned run of the game with a single to left field in the third.

“She’s a very clutch player and she had a great at-bat, down 0-2 and battled back and found a way to hit that pitch,” Sowder said. “It was a big at-bat.”

The second run for The Beach came in the sixth, when DeBaun scored from third on a throw to second from Boise State catcher Maghan Yurek. LBSU pinch runner Loni Tyler made a move to second to draw Yurek’s throw and allowed DeBaun to score.

“If they threw down [to second base], we were going to try and score,” Sowder said. “Loni did a nice job of coming in and pinch running and reading that throw down to second and getting a good jump.”

Boise State pitcher Allie Crump (1-1) was tagged with the loss, though she gave up no earned runs and four hits.

Long Beach State plays Loyola Marymount at 1:15 p.m. on Sunday to conclude the LBSU Round Robin.