Softball, Sports

Two-out magic snaps 49ers’ streak

A two-run double in the potential final at-bat snapped the Long Beach State softball team’s three-game winning streak Sunday.

The 49ers lost to Utah, 3-2, in the finale of the Louisville Slugger Desert Classic in Las Vegas. LBSU (7-2) finished the tournament with a 3-2 record.

With a 2-1 lead, 49ers starting pitcher Taylor Petty allowed a two-out, two-run double to Utes center fielder Tara Glover, who finished 2-for-3 with three RBIs.

Petty (3-2) allowed three earned runs on five hits, struck out six and walked one in 6 2/3 innings.

The 49ers, who have shown some pop in the early season, took a 2-0 lead in the second on a Dana Garcia two-run home run in the second.

Glover’s two-out RBI double in the fifth put Utah (5-6) on the board in the fifth.

Junior starter Generra Nielson (4-5) earned the complete-game victory after allowing two earned runs on four hits while striking out four.

The two teams will meet again Thursday as the 49ers start the three-day Cathedral City Classic in Palm Springs. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.

The Beach will also face Texas A&M at 6 p.m.