Men's Basketball, Sports

Sixth-year senior to be honored for perseverance

The good news and personal rewards keep rolling in for sixth-year senior Brandon Nevens.

Nevens, a 6-3 guard on the Long Beach State men’s basketball team, will receive the McDonald’s Press On Award at a formal banquet Monday at 6 p.m. in the Lakewood Youth Hall of Fame.

Given for overcoming adversity or inspirational accomplishments, the award is in honor of Nevens’ comeback from a kidney ailment that forced him to sit out the 2008-09 and 2009-10 seasons before returning to the floor in December 2010.

Nevens suffered from “compartment syndrome,” which caused swelling in both legs, after overexerting himself during a preseason workout in September 2008. Nevens collapsed on the Jack Rose campus track.

On Dec. 23, Nevens was granted an extension of his five-year NCAA eligibility clock. He then practiced with the 49ers on Christmas night, and checked into his first game five days later in a road victory over Cal Poly.

Nevens made his home debut Jan. 29 in a victory over Cal State Fullerton.

“It was just a sigh of relief,” Nevens said after his first home game at The Beach. “I’m so happy to be out there, man. I just give all my praise to God for getting me back on the court.”

Now, Nevens has become a regular off the bench in head coach Dan Monson’s thin rotation.

Nevens has played in 10 games and is averaging 1.5 points and 1.1 rebounds per game. He played a season-high 12 minutes twice, at Cal State Northridge and against Montana, while also playing 10 minutes at UC Davis.

Nevens scored a season-high four points in the win over CSUF, and then he matched it in a win over Montana on Feb. 19.

He was nominated for the award by his high school coach, Matt Ruiz. For information on attending the banquet, contact the Lakewood City Hall.