Beach tennis avenges Big West title loss

In a rematch of last year’s Big West Conference Tournament finals, the Long Beach State tennis team swept the doubles point and won three singles matches to defeat host UC Irvine, 4-3, on Sunday.

With the win, the No. 54-ranked 49ers (7-1, 4-0 Big West) remained unbeaten in conference play.

The 49ers got out to a quick start by sweeping doubles to earn the first point of the match. No. 1 tandem Deborah Armstrong and Anais Dallara defeated Hannah Holladay and Becka Kwan, 8-5.

Sarah Cantlay and Julie Luzar defeated UCI twin sisters Hayley and Miranda Young by the same margin, while LBSU’s Jaklin Alawi and Rachel Manasse were the first done in an 8-2 win over Courtney Byron and Kristina Smith.

In singles, the 49ers won three short matches to clinch the match. Manasse continued to play well at No. 6, defeating Holladay, 7-5, 6-2.

Meanwhile, Cantlay won against Brooke Schweyer at No. 5 6-3, 6-2. Dallara then clinched the match with a 7-5, 6-3 win at No. 1 over Byron.

The 49ers took the first set at No. 3 and No. 4 singles, but as each extended to three sets with the match sealed, Armstrong lost, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3, to Kristina Smith, and Jeczmionka lost, 2-6, 6-4, 6-2, to Franziska Goettsching.

Alawi rallied from a 6-3 loss in set one to reach match point twice at No. 2 singles, but ultimately lost to Kwan, 6-3, 5-7, 7-6, in the tiebreaker.

Next week, the 49ers will play a makeup match with San Diego State on Friday before hosting UC Santa Barbara at the Rhodes Tennis Center at noon on Saturday.