Sports, Women's Basketball

Playoff picture clears up after loss

If the Long Beach State women’s basketball team hopes to make adjustments between now and the start of the Big West Conference Tournament next Tuesday, then it can start by taking care of the ball.

The 49ers committed 27 turnovers in an 83-65 blowout loss to potential first-round opponent and host UC Riverside in the regular-season finale Wednesday at the Student Recreation Center.

The ‘Niners (8-22, 6-10 Big West) — who are currently in sixth place in the conference standings — have the potential to drop down to a seventh seed if Cal State Fullerton defeats UC Davis on Saturday.

Meanwhile, the Highlanders (17-11, 10-5 Big West) are guaranteed to finish no lower than third in the Big West with a possibility of moving into the second seed.

The Highlanders broke the game open after a continuation play from Rheya Neabors sparked a 9-2 run capped by consecutive 3s from Tre’Shonti Nottingham to take a 51-40 lead with 14:28 to play.

LBSU responded with a driving layup from Tipesa Moorer on the ensuing possession to cut the lead to nine. But that’s as close as it would get as UCR ran away with the 18-point victory.

Brandi Henton led the way for The Beach with 15 points and seven rebounds, while Courtney Jacob added 14 points. Moorer chipped in 12 points and five boards.

Brittany Waddell paced UCR with 27 points — 22 off which came in the first half — on 9-of-12 from the field, including 4-of-5 from 3-point range. Nottingham added 16 points — all in the second period. The duo also combined for 12 of UCR’s 19 steals.

The 49ers finished 21 of 58 from the field (36.2 percent), while the Highlanders shot 29 of 57 (50.9 percent).

The Beach will have its seed determined after Saturday’s remaining Big West regular season games conclude.

Possible scenario with LBSU as the sixth seed:

LBSU would be No. 6 and play at No. 3 UCR IF Cal State Fullerton loses to UC Davis

Possible scenarios with LBSU as the seventh seed:

LBSU would be No. 7 and play at No. 2 UCSB IF CSUF defeats Davis AND UC Santa Barbara defeats Cal Poly

LBSU would be No. 7 and play at No. 2 UCR IF CSUF defeats Davis AND Cal Poly defeats UCSB AND UCR defeats UC Irvine

*Regardless of seed, Long Beach State will open the Big West Conference Tournament on the road at a campus site next Tuesday at 7 p.m.