Men's Track & Field, Sports

Throwers set tone at Ben Brown Invitational

The Long Beach State track and field team kicked off its season-opening outdoor meet with the hammer throw at the Ben Brown Invitational in Fullerton on Thursday.

Colin Dunbar led the 49er men as he topped his lifetime best by 14 feet, 5 inches. Dunbar, who finished ahead of the 2009 and 2010 Big West champions, registered a toss of 209-8 to rank third in school history.

Peter Fourtounis also made the final with a mark of 172-11, while Rajan Bains came in at 169-1.

“This was a terrific start for our throwers,” 49ers head coach Andy Sythe said in a statement. “Coach Loebl is really developing his crew and we are going to see many more great results from them this weekend and throughout the year.”

Ramiah Rhay was LBSU’s top finisher for the women in her first-ever hammer competition. Rhay’s mark of 166-1 puts her at No. 7 among the 49ers’ all-time top 10 list.

Shari Harris also bettered her lifetime-best by 13 feet with a toss of 160-4, while Lynn Patu registered a distance of 149-2.

Long Beach State heads back to Fullerton on Saturday for the remainder of the Ben Brown Invitational.