Baseball, Sports

Dirtbags rally in wild, extra-inning victory

The Long Beach State baseball team rallied from five runs down in the ninth inning to win the second game of a three-game series from No. 15-ranked Oregon, 7-6, in 12 innings Saturday at Blair Field.

The Dirtbags (4-6) stormed back to tie the game at 6 in the ninth inning and force extra innings. Jeff Yamaguchi hit the game-winning RBI single to left field off an inside fastball in the 12th inning with one out.

“[I’m] pretty happy to contribute,” Yamaguchi said.

LBSU’s Ino Patron scored from second base after stretching a single into a double on a hit to shallow left field.

“I was thinking two (a double) out of the [batter’s] box,” Patron said.

It was the Dirtbags’ second walk-off victory in the last three games. LBSU did the same against USC on Tuesday.

Starting pitcher Madison Boer allowed just one run on three hits over eight innings for Oregon (5-5).

With the Dirtbags down 6-1 going into the ninth, Ducks reliever Scott McGough took over on the mound.

After Mike Marjama reached on an error, Patron then hit a single to right field that sent Marjama to third. That’s when Dirtbags head coach Troy Buckley brought in freshman Michael Hill, who delivered a pinch-hit, two-run double to left field

“It’s nice to see [Hill],” said Buckley, who added that he could see more playing time.

Tonight was Hill’s first appearance this season due to a partial shoulder separation during the preseason that he is still recovering from.

Juan Avila pinch ran for Hill and moved to third on a passed ball. Avila eventually scored the fourth run due to a wild pitch by McGough, who also walked one batter and gave up another pinch-hit RBI to LBSU’s Brent Tani.

Oregon head coach George Horton brought three more relievers in that inning. Another wild pitch by Ducks senior Kellen Moen brought in Jeff McNeil to tie the game and force extra innings.

In the 11th inning, right-handed pitcher Kyle Friedrichs took the mound and kept Oregon scoreless. Friedrichs (1-1) faced seven batters, allowed one walk, struck out two and gave up no hits to pick up his first win.

Ducks reliever Brando Tessar was brought in at the bottom of the 12th. Tessar (0-1) took the loss after facing three batters and allowing the hits to Patron and Yamaguchi that won the game for the Dirtbags.

LBSU and Oregon will finish the series Sunday at Blair Field with an earlier start time at 12:30 p.m.