Sports, Women's Basketball

Freshman headlines LBSU women’s postseason honors

When Long Beach State women’s basketball head coach Jody Wynn thrust freshman Brandi Henton into the limelight as a starting point guard prior to start of the season, no one knew what to expect.

Now with 30 games under her belt, Henton has made a strong case to be the face of the program for years to come, and Monday she was named the Big West Conference Freshman of the Year.

Henton became the first 49er to win the award since Kellie Bennett accomplished the feat in 1991. She also earned an all-conference honorable mention nod to go with a spot on the all-freshman team.

“My individual goal was to win freshman of the year,” Henton said.

In addition, senior guard Courtney Jacob was named to the all-conference second team.

“I think I played a lot better than I thought I could of given all my setbacks,” said Jacob, who was sidelined for the first four games of the season with a knee injury.

“I’ve learned to play in different roles and stepped up as the leader and captain of this team, so I’m very happy with how my season has turned out.”

Henton averaged 12.8 points and 4.7 rebounds in 23.9 minutes per game this season.

Meanwhile, Jacob, who was also awarded with “Best Hustle” honors, averaged 14.4 points on .459 percent shooting to go with 6.8 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 1.8 steals per game in 26 outings this season.

Jacob ranked among the top-6 in the Big West in all five of those major categories.

Some of Henton’s highlights this year included a career-high 30 points against USC before she matched that feat against Florida A&M.

Not to mention, Henton hit the go-ahead 3 in LBSU’s come-from-behind victory in overtime against UCR earlier this season.

The Modesto, Calif., native also registered six games with 20 or more points this season.

“Brandi has had a phenomenal freshman season,” Wynn said. “We’re looking forward to a bright future for her.”

Jacob hit the game-winning free throw in second-half comeback wins over UC Irvine and UC Davis at the Walter Pyramid earlier this season.

In addition, the Naples, Fla., native earned consecutive Big West Player of the Week honors after finishing with three double-doubles in a four-game span.

“She’s constantly the first one in the gym [at practice] and the last one to leave,” Wynn said of Jacob’s work ethic. “She wanted this senior season so bad that she was gonna do whatever it took to be able to get on the floor.

“I’m just really happy that she was recognized; it was a tremendous honor for her.”