Men's Basketball, Sports

LBSU officials buy 1,000 Big West Tournament student tickets

A Big West Conference Tournament run full of high expectations for the Long Beach State men’s basketball team has a pair of school officials fully engaged.

And, as a result, LBSU students interested in watching the 49ers can receive a free ticket for each round.

President F. King Alexander and Vice President of Student Services Doug Robinson bought 500 student tickets apiece Tuesday for the three-day event at the Honda Center in Anaheim. The top-seeded 49ers will face No. 8 UC Irvine in the first round at noon on Thursday.

“Our students have made this season one of the most exciting in decades,” Alexander said. “We have broken all previous attendance records. This is a simple, but important way to thank them.”

Students can sign up at the Beach Pride Center in the University Student Union or at the Walter Pyramid box office for a free bus ride from the Pyramid to Anaheim, and back, for as long as the 49ers advance in the tournament. The Pyramid box office is open from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

All riders will receive a free game ticket and “Tournament Takeover T-shirt,” and each bus will provide free food and drinks (while supplies last). Each bus trip will require a $5 deposit, which will be returned to the student on the day of the trip.

Thursday’s buses will leave at 10:30 a.m.; Friday’s buses will leave the Pyramid at 4:45 p.m.; and Saturday’s buses will leave at 3 p.m.

LBSU marketing director Dedan Brozino said three full buses will make the trip for Thursday’s game, and sign-ups will continue into Wednesday night. For potential semifinal (Friday) and championship (Saturday) games, he said there are already six full buses for each game.

“Students can sign-up for all buses until 24 hours before the trips,” Brozino said. “Thursday’s sign-ups have been lower due to LBSU’s early start time as a No. 1 seed, which conflicts with a heavy day of classes on campus.

“The Greek system has gotten heavily involved and is competing in a spirit competition to win a prize put up by athletics. The Greek chapters with the highest percentage of participation on the trips will be rewarded for their efforts.”

Students not on the bus trip can still receive a free ticket by presenting an LBSU ID card at the Honda Center box office on the day of the game.

For more information, e-mail Brozino at [email protected].