Softball, Sports

Softball goes 0 for 2 as hosts

BYU 2, LBSU 0

LAKEWOOD — The Long Beach State softball team watched Brigham Young get a little revenge Friday by winning its second match-up of the season, 2-0, at the Long Beach Marriott Invitational.

While the 49ers (13-8) beat the Cougars the first go-around eight days ago, this time LBSU was unable to score any runs despite having two bases-loaded opportunities.

“We let it get away from us,” 49ers head coach Kim Sowder said. “We didn’t have the good at-bats we needed.”

The first opportunity for The Beach came in the first inning when two walks and a hit by pitch loaded the bases with one out.

“We felt like we were rolling and then two pitches later, we were out of it,” Sowder said of the final outs of the inning.

The second opportunity came again with one out — this time in the seventh inning. However, a BYU pitching change cemented the loss for the 49ers, whose next two batters grounded out.

Junior starting pitcher Taylor Petty (3-4) took a tough loss for LBSU, giving up one earned run on three hits while striking out seven over four innings.

Tori Almond (2-2) won the game for the Cougars, giving up five hits and striking out seven in 6 1/3 innings.

UCLA 7, LBSU 3

Long Beach State lost its second game of the day, 7-3, as UCLA’s hitting proved to be too much Friday at the Long Beach Marriott Invitational.

A bad omen for LBSU came early as UCLA leadoff hitter Katie Schroeder homered off freshman Erin Jones-Wesley’s first pitch out of the park.

But The Beach showed a glimmer of hope by coming back in the bottom half of the first inning.

After sophomore Brianna Stephan was hit by a pitch and junior Megan Denio walked, Stephan scored after a bunt by Caitrin DeBaun was fumbled by UCLA third baseman GiOnna DiSalvatore. Two outs later, senior Christina Schallig hit a bloop single just over the head of DiSalvatore, getting LBSU’s only RBI.

A passed ball by UCLA’s catcher added a third run, making the 49ers’ lead 3-1.

“I think that we did a great job of bouncing back in that first inning,” Sowder said.

But UCLA used three home runs — two by Schroeder — and four doubles to claim the victory.

“I feel like [UCLA] hit the ball better today than they have all season, so you gotta give them some credit,” Sowder said.

Altogether, UCLA chalked up 13 hits and chased off Jones-Wesley (6-3) after four innings.

“Erin made a couple mistakes and they took advantage of it,” Sowder said. “It’s what good teams do. She’s not going to have everything be perfect every day.”

Donna Kerr (6-1) got the win for UCLA, holding the 49ers to just two hits and striking out five.

Next up for The Beach in the tournament will be Sacramento State on Saturday at 1:30 p.m.