Softball, Sports

Softball edged by No. 14 Texas

The Long Beach State softball team was narrowly defeated by 14th-ranked Texas, 1-0, Wednesday at the 49er Softball Complex.

Texas (19-3) scored the lone run of the game in the top of the second inning as Amy Hooks sent a solo home run over the left field fence to open the inning.

Despite the loss, the 49ers (16-9) held the Longhorns to just two hits on the afternoon. Senior Brooke Turner (6-2) was dealt the loss as she went four innings, allowing one run on the only hit she surrendered. She also struck out seven, while walking four.

Meanwhile, Longhorns ace Blaire Luna (12-2) threw a complete-game, four-hit shutout while striking out 11.

Sophomore Nalani St. Germain went 1-for-2 with a walk, while sophomore Caitrin DeBaun and seniors Liz Javier and Christina Schallig also found their way into the hit column.

The Beach threatened in the bottom of the first. With one out, Hannah De Gaetano was hit by the pitch and DeBaun followed with a single through the left side. 

Luna then settled down, striking out both Sarah Carrasco and St. Germain.

LBSU had runners in scoring position again in the bottom of the second. Javier led off with a single up the middle before Schallig was hit by the pitch. 

After Luna retired two batters, Denio then reached on an error to load the bases. However, De Gaetano popped out to end the inning. 

LBSU returns to action this weekend when it heads to Fullerton for the Judi Garman Tournament, March 18-20. The 49ers open play with a 7:30 p.m. game against DePaul on Friday.