Softball, Sports

Freshman deals one-hitter despite rain conditions

The rain may have canceled play for the Long Beach State women’s softball team’s second game of its doubleheader Sunday, but it wasn’t enough to stop freshman pitcher Erin Jones-Wesley in the first game. And neither was Illinois for that matter.

Jones-Wesley (9-3) fell one hit shy of throwing her third no-hitter of the season as she led the 49ers to a 1-0 victory over The Fighting Illini in their first game of the day at the Judi Garman Classic in Fullerton.

The Beach’s second game scheduled for 3 p.m. on Sunday against San Jose State was canceled as the rain became progressively worse.

Meanwhile, Illinois second baseman Danielle Zymkowitz broke up Jones-Wesley’s bid for a no-hitter with a leadoff single to left field in the six inning.

But LBSU second baseman Nalani St. Germain responded in the bottom of the inning when she drove in the only run of the game with a two-out single that brought in teammate Megan Denio for the score.

That’s all the run support the ‘Niners (18-10) would get or need as Jones-Wesley finished with four strikeouts and five walks to go with her one-hit shutout.

Illinois starter Pepper Gay (6-7) was charged with the loss after she gave up one run on four hits in six innings pitched.

Jones-Wesley survived a scare in the first inning before she settled in to pitch yet another impressive game this season.

The Fighting Illini (11-12) loaded the bases with no one out, but Jones-Wesley escaped the inning by giving up no runs thanks to her team’s solid defense.

Illinois third baseman Kelley Wedel lifted a fly ball to shallow left field that LBSU left fielder Hannah De Gaetano caught for the first out. Danielle Zymkowitz also tried to score from third, but De Gaetano’s throw to home plate got to her in time for the second out. Illinois shortstop Jessica Davis grounded out to third to end the inning.

Illinois didn’t threaten again until the top of the seventh when it had runners on the corners with two outs. However, Jones-Wesley induced Ashley Conrad to pop out to second base, which ultimately gave LBSU the win.

The Beach will return to action Wednesday for a doubleheader against Ohio at the 49er Softball Complex. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.