Softball, Sports

49ers sweep Ohio in shortened doubleheader

Box Score

The Long Beach State softball team took advantage of costly pitching mistakes and fielding errors to collect a 6-4 victory over Ohio in the second game of a rain-shortened doubleheader Wednesday at the 49er Softball Complex.

LBSU starting pitcher Brooke Turner (7-3) earned the victory after giving up three runs and six hits in five innings.

Despite the rainout in the sixth inning, the ‘Niners (20-10) struck quickly as Bobcats pitcher Caitlin Colvin walked four consecutive batters in the bottom of the first, giving The Beach an early 1-0 edge.

With one out and the bases loaded, Caitrin Debaun then grounded out to second as Christina Schallig advanced to home on the play.

Bree Stephan followed up with an RBI single to center field before Liz Javier tried to dig for two bases, but was thrown at the plate.

Colvin (1-6) — who was charged with the loss — was replaced by Melissa Bonner after giving up three runs on one hit and four walks in just one inning pitched.

Ohio (10-11) eventually got to Turner in the fourth after Raven King blasted a solo home run over the center field fence to cut the deficit, 3-1.

LBSU then responded with two runs off Bonner in the fifth. The Beach scored on a wild pitch with runners on the corners before Nalani St. Germain ripped an RBI single to right field, giving the 49ers a 5-1 advantage.

With two outs in the fifth inning, Ohio cut the deficit in half after back-to-back RBI doubles from Chelsea Hortman and Sara Clark.

But it wouldn’t be enough as LBSU tacked on an insurance run in the fifth after capitalizing on two Ohio fielding errors by second baseman Brooke Mogart and right fielder Biz Eyrise.

The Bobcats would add a run in the sixth, but had no answer for LBSU pitcher Erin Jones-Wesley, who came in relief for Taylor Petty to pick up the final outs and the save.

LBSU 3, OHIO, 0

Box Score

Jones-Wesley (10-3) recorded a complete-game shutout to lead The Beach to a 3-0 victory over Ohio in the first game of the doubleheader Wednesday at the 49er Softball Complex.

Jones-Wesley struck out seven batters and gave up just four hits in seven innings of work.

Meanwhile, Wethington (8-4) was charged with the loss as she went just two and 2/3 innings and surrendered three runs — two of which were earned — and five hits.

A bases-loaded single to center field by De Gaetano put the ‘Niners on the board with two outs in the bottom of the second inning.

Though that would be all LBSU would need, the 49ers did some more two-out damage in the third. Sandoval delivered a two-run double to left field, giving the ‘Niners a 3-0 lead they never relinquished.

The Beach will return to action Friday for a doubleheader against Canisius. First pitch at the 49er Softball Complex is scheduled for 1 p.m.