Baseball, Sports

Dirtbags sneak past LMU on the road

The Long Beach State baseball team edged Loyola Marymount with a 3-2 win in Los Angeles on Tuesday before heading to Northern California to begin a six-game road trip.

Brennan Metzger and Matt Johnson (2-1) propelled The Dirtbags (11-9) to victory with substantial contributions. Metzger registered two RBIs in the fourth inning, while Johnson added four and 1/3 scoreless innings of relief to earn the win.

The fourth inning began when Lions left-handed pitcher John Lally (2-3), who was charged with the loss, walked Dirtbags third baseman Mike Marjama. Marjama then advanced to second after a wild pitch from Lally.

Following a sacrifice bunt from Ino Patron, pinch hitter Jonathan Kim singled to right field to score Marjama for LBSU’s first run, tying the game at one.

Dirtbags hortstop Michael Hill then singled to move Kim over to second and with one run already across the plate, Metzger ripped a single to drive in two more runs.

After receiving strong pitching performances from newcomers Ryan Strufing and Johnson, that was all the Dirtbags needed as they held on for the victory.

Strufing started the game, going three and 2/3 innings while allowing just one earned run.

Relief pitcher Eddie Magallon shut the Lions down in the ninth inning for the save, giving up one run — his first allowed since Feb. 27 against Arizona.

LMU broke the scoreless game open when catcher Matt Koch sent a 2-1 pitch from Strufing over the left field wall for a solo home run in the bottom of the first inning.

The Lions wouldn’t score again until the ninth inning when left fielder Matt Lowenstein’s fielder’s choice scored pinch runner Nick Truhan from third base. Truhan reached third base after single and a Bret Dahlson sacrifice fly.

Michael Hill, who went 1 for 4, replaced starting shortstop Kirk Singer in the lineup.

Long Beach State will continue their road trip at No.12–ranked Stanford in Palo Alto, Calif. on Friday at 5:30 p.m.