Softball, Sports

‘Niners pitchers deal two shutouts against Canisius

The Long Beach State softball team wasted little time Friday.

Freshman Erin Jones-Wesley and junior Taylor Petty pitched back-to-back complete game shutouts to lead the 49ers to a doubleheader sweep of Canisius at the 49er Softball Complex.  The 49ers won both games, 4-0.

The two pitchers combined to allow just six hits while striking out 11 in the doubleheader.  Sophomore Bree Stephan led the 49ers’ offense with three hits in the two games, while senior Liz Javier, sophomore Caitrin DeBaun and freshman Dana Garcia each had two hits.  

The wins moved the ‘Niners to 22-10 on the season, while Canisius dropped to 10-8.

Game 1: Long Beach State 4, Canisius 0

Jones-Wesley recorded her sixth shutout and 11th complete game of the season to lead the 49ers to a 4-0 win over the Griffins.  

Jones-Wesley (11-3) allowed just five hits while striking out four.

Caroline Main (4-4) was charged with the loss for Canisius as she gave up four runs and eight hits through five innings.

LBSU compiled back-to-back one-out hits from Stephan and Hannah De Gaetano to go with a walk by Nalani St. Germain to set up Javier, who put the ‘Niners on the scoreboard with a sacrifice fly.

The Beach added to their lead in the bottom of the second as Stephan delivered a two-out RBI single to center field that scored freshman catcher Karli Sandoval from second.  

The ‘Niners extended their lead to 4-0 with back-to-back home runs from St. Germain and Javier.  

St. Germain’s homer was her team-leading sixth of the season and the 14th of her career, moving into fifth on the all-time LBSU career home run list.  

Meanwhile, Javier’s home run was her second of the season.

Game 2: Long Beach State 4, Canisius 0

Petty was one hit shy of recording LBSU’s third complete-game no-hitter of the season as she guided the The Beach to its second 4-0 victory of the day against Canisius.  

Petty’s (4-4) no-hitter wasn’t broken up until the sixth inning when Valorie Nappo ripped a leadoff double down the left field line.  

But that would be only pitch that the Griffins would handle from Petty as she struck out seven batters and walked just two.

The 49ers jumped on Canisius starter Amanda Baun (5-3) early in the first inning as St. Germain drove in the first run on a bases-loaded sacrifice fly to drive in Stephan, who led off the inning with a base hit.

Megan Denio, who singled earlier in the inning, then scored on a passed ball to give The Beach a 2-0 lead.

The 49ers followed up the first inning with another pair of runs in second. Stephan hit a bases loaded sacrifice fly with one out before Baun issued her fourth walk of the inning, to advance De Gaetano to home plate.  

The 49ers will begin Big West Conference play next weekend at the University of Pacific with a doubleheader on Saturday and one contest on Sunday. First pitch for Saturday’s doubleheader is scheduled for noon.