Men's Volleyball, Softball, Sports

‘Niner Notes: March 28

Senior middle blocker Antwain Aguillard of the Long Beach State men’s volleyball team was named the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Molten Player of the Week, the conference office announced Monday.

Aguillard helped the 49ers secure an MPSF Tournament berth by leading the team to a pair of road victories at No. 15-ranked University of Pacific and No. 2 Stanford.

He finished the weekend with 41 kills and no errors on 59 attempts for a blistering .695 hitting percentage.

In a 3-1 victory over the Tigers, Aguillard had a career-high 17 kills and hit .708 (17-0-24), while adding four digs and two solo blocks.

He then topped that career effort by hammering down 24 kills in a 3-2 upset over the Cardinal. Aguillard didn’t have a single error on 35 swings for a .686 clip.

Over the two matches, Aguillard averaged a team-best 4.56 kills and 4.89 points per set.

No. 4 LBSU will looking to carry its momentum into this week’s action when it heads to Provo, Utah for a pair of MPSF matches against No. 2 BYU on Thursday at 7 p.m and Friday at 6 p.m.

Long Beach State freshman pitcher Erin Jones-Wesley was also honored Monday as was named the Big West Conference Co-Pitcher of the Week after picking up a pair of wins and her first career save last weekend.  

The award marked the fourth this season for Jones-Wesley.

The Alta Loma, Calif. native threw two shutouts en route to victories over Ohio, 3-0, on Wednesday and Canisius, 4-0, on Friday.  

She also picked up her first career save in a 6-4 win over Ohio in the second game of the doubleheader Wednesday, when she entered the game with the bases loaded and one out in the top of the sixth inning before retiring both batters she faced without allowing a single run.  

For the week, Jones-Wesley didn’t allow any runs in 14.2 innings pitched, while striking out 12 and giving up just nine hits.

The freshman takes an 11-3 record and a 1.36 ERA into this week’s conference opening series at Pacific.  The 49ers and Tigers will play two games on Saturday and one on Sunday.  

Jones-Wesley has allowed just 23 runs —19 earned — in 97.2 innings this season and has struck out 91, while walking 36.