Softball, Sports

Beach softball looks to carry preseason momentum into conference play

The Long Beach State softball team will begin Big West conference play Saturday against a tough University of Pacific team, but the 49ers seem up for the challenge based on its results during nonconference play.

LBSU (22-10) has beat then-No. 6-ranked Oklahoma and No. 17 Baylor. 

Though the Big West coaches’ poll slated the 49ers to end up in the middle of the pack, they finished the preseason in the number one spot. 

“This team is hungry and they’re excited about conference [play],” LBSU head coach Kim Sowder said. “Whoever wins the conference gets the guarantee of postseason. We certainly want that guarantee.”

Sowder said the keys to winning the conference are teamwork and focus. 

“Our focus is mainly going to be on ourselves and just playing our game and doing the best that we can do,” Sowder said. “We don’t want to waste too much energy focusing on the other team.”

That “other team” LBSU will be facing in a doubleheader Saturday is Pacific (19-11), which are batting .321 and have two players hitting above .400. 

First pitch at Tiger turf in Stockton, Calif. is scheduled for noon.

“They’re a strong offensive team,” Sowder said. “We have a strong pitching staff and a strong defense and we’re going to have to play good in those areas.”

Senior pitcher Brooke Turner (7-3) knows the key to beating Pacific is to get ahead in the count and stay on top of the batters.

“They have some good hitters this year, so keeping their big hitters off the bases will really help us a lot,” Turner said. “Our bats are doing really well so I think that’s going to make a big difference.”

The 49ers are currently riding a five-game win streak where they’ve outscored their opponents, 17-4, and hope to continue the hot hitting. 

Sophomore second baseman Nalani St. Germain, who is currently batting .350, said that she is working hard to avoid the slump she had during conference play last year. 

“I couldn’t see the ball; it was just really bad,” St. Germain said. “I’m more consistent this year and I’m just trying to keep it that way.”

Freshman pitcher Erin Jones-Wesley (11-3) is also trying to carry her preseason success into conference play.

Jones-Wesley, who has the lowest earned run average in the Big West at 1.83, said she doesn’t think that the team will prepare any differently for conference games than for preseason. 

“We’ve just been working really hard, so why change what’s working?” Jones-Wesley said. “If we just have everyone keep working together as a team, we’ll end up on top.”

To remain ahead of the pack would mean beating rivals such as Cal Poly, UC Davis and Fullerton, who St. Germain said is always a big rivalry. 

“That’s always a big one for us – no matter how we’re ranked or how they’re ranked,” St. Germain said. “And, it’s the game that is going to get televised this year [on ESPNU].”

Senior third baseman Liz Javier agreed that the key to winning the conference is to do exactly what the team has been doing. 

“We’ve just been working hard, trusting our coaches and being selfless,” Javier said. “That has been a big aspect of this team. Everyone [on the team] has leadership in them and we all know what needs to be done and we just get it done.”

The team’s obvious optimism will be put to the test in conference play, but LBSU will have to weigh that optimism with the reality of having to work hard.

“Hopefully we can get these first few wins and keep working hard and then we’ll be able to win conference,” Jones-Wesley said. “Maybe go undefeated. That’d be cool.”