Softball, Sports

49ers take 1 of 2 in Big West home opener

Freshman Erin Jones-Wesley pitched her eighth shutout of the season to lead the Long Beach State softball team to a doubleheader split with Cal State Northridge on Saturday at the 49er Softball Complex.  

Jones-Wesley picked up a 4-0 win in the first game of the day, but the Matadors rebounded in game two with a 3-2 victory.

Christina Schallig paced the ‘Niners ( 24-13, 2-3 Big West Conference) as she combined to go 3-for-5 with two RBs, while Sarah Carrasco went 3-for-6 with two RBIs.  

Shortstop Jaci Carlsen led the way for CSUN (14-23, 2-3 Big West) as she combined for a 2-for-7 performance with two RBIs.

Game 1: LBSU 4, CSUN 0

Jones-Wesley (13-4) allowed just three hits while picking up her 13th complete game of the season.  She also finished 2-for-2 at the plate, with an RBI.

The 49ers broke the scoreless game open with two runs in the bottom of the fourth inning.  Liz Javier, who was on base after doubling to lead off the inning, scored on a ground ball by Dana Garcia that shortstop Samantha Sloniker misplayed.  

Jones-Wesley added a RBI single later in the inning to score Christina Schallig, who reached base after singling.  

Schallig later tacked on an insurance with an RBI single in the bottom of the fifth as she drove in Carrasco, who doubled earlier in the inning.  

The 49ers scored again in the bottom of the sixth.  Carrasco singled with two outs, to score Brooke Bell who pinch ran for Jones-Wesley after she singled to lead off the inning.

Carrasco went 2-for-4 with a RBI and a run scored in game one, while Schallig went 2-for-2 with a RBI and a run scored.  

Hanna Fraijo (9-8) was charged with the loss for the Matadors after she allowed four runs on eight hits and four walks in six innings of work.

Game 2: CSUN 3, LBSU 2

Carrasco was thrown out at the plate to end both the game and an LBSU rally in the bottom of the seventh inning as the Matadors held on for a 3-2 win over the 49ers, which stranded 10 runners in the second game of the doubleheader.

Trailing 3-1, the ‘Niners loaded up the bases with two outs in the seventh.  Schallig singled to center field to score Hannah De Gaetano from third, which cut the deficit to one.

LBSU head coach Kim Sowder held Carrasco at third, but Javier rounded second and headed for third not realizing that Carrasco had been held up.  

Sloniker cut off the throw from center field and threw behind Javier to second baseman Jaci Carlsen forcing Javier to advance to third, while Carrasco tried to score.  

Carlsen then threw the ball to Matadors catcher Mikayla Thielgas who got Carrasco in a rundown with third baseman Tracy Allen.  Carrasco attempted to score, but was called out at the plate on a tag by Thielgas.

The Matadors took the lead in the third inning on a two-run home run by Carlsen off LBSU starter Brooke Turner (7-5), who was charged with the loss after allowing two runs on three hits in just three innings.

Meanwhile, Carly Wade (4-14) picked up the win for the Matadors after giving up two runs and six hits, while walking five in seven innings pitched.

The 49ers had a chance to answer in their half of the inning after loading up the bases with no outs.  

However, LBSU couldn’t muster any runs.  Dana Garcia hit a sharp grounder to third before Carrasco was thrown out at home for the first out.  Pinch hitter Jennifer Madigan followed with a comebacker to the pitcher who easily threw Javier out at home. Alisha Rosen hit a ball hard to the right side, but first baseman Madeline Sale snagged it and stepped on the bag to retire the 49ers, who left three runners stranded.

CSUN added another run in the fifth on an infield single by Allen, who drove in Jessica Fridwall to give the Matadors a 3-0 lead, but LBSU made one attempt to pull off the doubleheader sweep.

Rosen opened the inning with a single, but was forced out at second base on a ground ball by Nalani St. Germain.  After Caitrin DeBaun reached on a fielder’s choice, St. Germain took second before De Gaetano walked and moved DeBaun to second.  

Carrasco then singled to center to drive in DeBaun to cut the lead to 3-1.  Javier followed up with a walkto load the bases and bring Schallig to the plate for the game-ending play.

The ‘Niners will conclude their three-game series with CSUN on Sunday at 1 p.m.