Softball, Sports

Beach softball takes series finale behind heavy hitting

Freshman designated hitter Sarah Carrasco hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the first inning to give the Long Beach State softball team a one-run lead it later expanded upon Sunday in a 6-2 victory over Cal State Northridge at the 49er Softball Complex.  

Down 1-0 to start the bottom of the first inning, Carrasco belted a two-out homer — her second of the season — to left field with 49ers right fielder Caitrin Debaun on first base to give LBSU (25-13, 3-3 Big West Conference) a 2-1 lead.  

The Matadors (14-24, 2-4 Big West) took the lead off LBSU starter Erin Jones-Wesley when Madeline Sale delivered a flare that landed just out of the reach of both first baseman Christina Schallig and second baseman Nalani St. Germain. The RBI single drove in CSUN catcher Mikayla Thiegles, who reached on a two-out double.

The 49ers tacked on two more runs in the bottom of the second to extend their lead, 4-1.  Jones-Wesley and Dana Garcia hit back-to-back doubles to right center before DeBaun added a RBI single to score Garcia.

The Matadors cut the deficit to two in the top of the fifth, but junior reliever Taylor Petty limited the damage as she escaped the inning without giving up a single run.  

Tracy Allen drove in the CSUN run with an RBI single after Jaci Carlsen led off the inning with base hit. Thielges was then hit by a pitch by Jones-Wesley, who was relieved by Petty following the play. 

With runners on first and second and nobody out, the junior pitcher induced a ground out to first, before enticing Samantha Sloniker to line out to second base and Kristen Mihm to pop out to the catcher.

The 49ers then put the game away in the bottom of the fifth as they added two insurance runs.  Liz Javier picked up a RBI single to score St. Germain, who had led off with a double.  Schallig followed with a run-scoring double off Allen’s glove at third to drive in Carrasco, who reached on a walk.  

Petty finished off the Matadors retiring all nine batters she faced to pick up her second save of the season.  

Meanwhile, Jones-Wesley (14-4) earned the win after she allowed two runs on four hits in four innings of work.  

Hannah Fraijo (9-9) picked up the loss for the Matadors as she conceded four runs on five hits in just two innings pitched.

Javier and Garcia each had two hits to lead the 49ers’ 10-hit attack, while Carrasco led all hitters in the series as she went 5-for-8 with one home run and four RBIs.

The 49ers took the weekend series, 2-1, after splitting a doubleheader with the Matadors on Saturday.

LBSU will continue Big West play next weekend for a three-game series against UC Davis at the 49er Softball Complex. The 49ers will play a doubleheader against The Aggies on Saturday with first pitch scheduled for 1 p.m. before hosting the rubber match Sunday. First pitch Sunday is also slated for a 1 p.m. start.