Baseball, Sports

Dirtbags rally not enough against No. 12 UCLA

The Long Beach State baseball team rallied from a five-run deficit to score four runs in the sixth inning, but it wasn’t enough to overcome No. 12-ranked UCLA on Tuesday in a 6-4 loss at Jackie Robinson Stadium.

The Bruins jumped to an early lead in the first inning as they tallied three runs off LBSU starting pitcher Jake Stassi (0-1).

Stassi would last only two innings, surrendering three runs to go with five hits.

Stassi’s counterpart, Bruins starting pitcher Zack Weiss (2-1), held the Dirtbags (16-15) scoreless for five innings. When Weiss was relieved for Ryan Deeter in the sixth inning, he had five strikeouts while allowing two hits.

Ino Patron led the way for LBSU as he went 2-for-3 with a run scored and a walk.

Bruins leadoff hitter Chris Giovinazzo wasted little time as he took a 2-1 pitch from Stassi and belted it over the left field wall to start the game. From there, the Bruins would add two more runs following a three-run triple by left fielder Cody Keefer.

The score remained the same until the Bruins (17-11) followed up their prolific first inning with a two-run fifth.

Dirtbags reliever Kyle Friedrichs surrendered the two unearned runs following a Matt Duffy throwing error to begin the inning.

As soon as Weiss left the game, the Dirtbags responded with a rally of their own as they accumulated four runs, five hits, and two walks in the sixth off Brandon Lodge.

However, with one out and the bases loaded, UCLA turned to reliever Scott Griggs, who induced a strike out and a fly ball to escape the jam as the Bruins held on for the win.

LBSU will return to Big West play Friday against UC Riverside at Blair Field with a 6:30 p.m. start time.