Baseball, Sports

Dirtbags eyeing sweep with 7-5 win over UC Riverside

A three-run rally in the fifth inning gave the Long Beach State baseball team the insurance runs it needed Saturday for a 7-5 win over UC Riverside at Blair Field.

The Dirtbags (18-15, 5-3 Big West Conference) had a big night both on the mound and at the plate.

LBSU starter Shawn Stuart threw eight strikeouts in just over four innings. However, he gave up four runs off eight hits.

Stuart came off the mound after allowing a two-RBI triple to Highlanders (15-14, 3-5 Big West) left fielder David Andriese, tying the game, 4-4, in the top of the fifth.

Reliever Matt Johnson (2-1) came in for Stuart with one out and a runner on third, and allowed just one run on one hit in four 2/3 innings for the win.

“[Johnson] is a multi-role guy,” Dirtbags head coach Troy Buckley said. “He’s got enough weapons to get [batters] mixed up.”

Johnson walked his first batter, struck out the next batter, followed by a groundout by UCR’s Bryan Horst ended the top of the fifth.

The Dirtbags quickly answered, though, with a three-run rally of their own in the bottom of the fifth inning. Left fielder Matt Hibbert led off the inning with a double that sailed over UCR third-baseman Ryan Goetz. Matt Duffy then laid a sacrifice bunt down the third base line that translated into base hit when Highlanders pitcher Dustin Emmons was unable to field the bunt.

“Duffy’s been getting good at bats,” Buckley said.

Duffy was moved from the third spot in the batting order to lead off in the absence of Brennan Metzger in Saturday’s game. 

Hibbert and Duffy scored on RBIs by Jeff McNeil and Mike Marjama, respectively. Jeff Yamaguchi also hit an RBI down the center field line that brought home Ino Patron.

Johnson, who is typically a starter, came out of the bullpen and pitched the rest of the game.

“I love the bullpen now,” Johnson said.

Emmons (3-2) was charged with the loss for the Highlanders. He threw four innings and allowed six runs on seven hits.

The Dirtbags will conclude their three-game series with the Highlanders on Sunday at Blair Field. Ryan Strufing is set to start for the Dirtbags, which are pursuing their first series sweep of the season. First pitch is set for 1:00 p.m.