Baseball, Sports

Dirtbags unravel late, lose to Gauchos

Long Beach State starting pitcher Andrew Gagnon threw a complete game Thursday, but judging by the final score, you would never know it.

Gagnon allowed just five hits. But three unearned runs on two errors proved to be the difference as the Dirtbags squandered a two-run lead in a 5-3 loss to UC Santa Barbara at Caesar Uyesaka Stadium.

Following a two-run home run by LBSU first baseman Ino Patron, the Dirtbags (18-17, 3-4 Big West Conference) took a 3-1 advantage into the bottom of the seventh inning.

However, with two outs and a runner on second, the Dirtbags became their own worst enemy.

UCSB left fielder Joe Wallace hit a sharp grounder to LBSU shortstop Kirk Singer, who couldn’t come up the ball to make the throw to first as he was charged with an error.

From there, the Gauchos (15-17, 5-5 Big West) would make the Dirtbags pay for every last runner aboard, and then some.

UCSB third baseman Ryan Palermo ripped a two-run double to even up the score at 3 before Gauchos catcher Joe Winterburn delivered the knockout with a two-run blast over the wall in right-center field.

Gagnon (4-5) was charged with the loss as he surrendered five runs — three unearned — in eight innings of work.

After allowing three runs on nine hits, UCSB starting pitcher Jesse Meaux (3-4) settled into a groove as he would concede just one hit over the final two innings to earn a complete-game win.

LBSU took an early lead in the first inning when second baseman Matt Duffy hit into a fielder’s choice with runners on the corners to give the Dirtbags a 1-0 lead.

The Gauchos then responded when center fielder Derek Eligio led off the inning with a fly ball that was dropped by LBSU right fielder Juan Avila. Eligio would reach third base on the error before scoring on a sacrifice fly by Gauchos second baseman Sean Williams.

LBSU took the lead back in the third, however, as Duffy cracked a leadoff single that set up the two-run shot by Patron.

The Dirtbags will continue its three-game series with the Gauchos at Caesar Uyesaka Stadium on Friday at 3 p.m.